Do Spanish law legally accept gay wedding?
Posted: 12 November 2006 05:31 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-12

I am a South African citizen and live in the UK at moment.  I have a Working Holiday Visa which is valid until March 2008.  My boyfriend is a Spanish who is working in Spain.  I am a man and we want become as a married gay couple.  We want plan to marry and I want to go to live in Spain. Will Spanish law allow gay wedding? Could you tell me please, what will be the procedure for me to obtain spanish citizenship. How long will it take?

Posted: 12 November 2006 11:05 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi niel82.

There’s a lot involved in the process, too much to just plop down here in a quick reply. I think you need to do more research to get an idea of what the steps are (all of which is outlined on the site here).

Yes, gay marriage is legal in Spain. As a South African though, you’ll have some problems getting a visa, which is the first step to moving here. What is your boyfriend’s citizenship?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 12 November 2006 03:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-12

Hey, thanks for your respond.  My boyfriend is Spanish citizen.  He live in Spain.  I don’t know where to find the right, proper information about gay marriage visa between my as South African citizen and Spanish citizen.  Do I allow to work in Spain?  I want get know more about visa process details & also conditions of gay marriage visa.  Can you please give me more other good relevant website address?

Posted: 21 November 2006 12:57 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-11-21

You may wish to look at the Gay Benidorm Guide marriage section at http://www.realbenidorm.net/gayspainweddings.html where you will find a link to Javea Organisers, who have already organised gay marriages in Benidorm which luckily has a very progressive mayor. They have access to an excellent international lawyer who will be able to advise you.  They are also very friendly and are passionate about equality.  The new laws are still being tested and things are changing daily so a good lawyer is you best shot.  There is a new firm of English lawyers on the Costa Blanca who are able to help with gay marriage plans you will find them at http://www.costablancalawyers.com

Signature 

Based in Benidorm always happy to help if you need any information about the town or the Costa Blanca. Author of the local Real Benidorm Holiday Guide at Real Benidorm Guide

English Solicitor - Costa BLanca