Have “residencia permanente” but now eligible for “residencia comunitaria”
Posted: 22 July 2008 01:49 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-22

Hi from Madrid, everyone!

I already have a ?residencia permanente? card and have been living and working in Spain for many years (I think I might even qualify for nationality at this point)

But now I have gotten married to a Spaniard, and coincidentally my permanent residence card is about to expire.

So, my question is, what am I supposed to do to renew it: renew it as if nothing had happened at the same place where you would normally renew a permanent residency? or go to the special office for ?residencia comunitaria? and get the residency on the basis of that?

My concerns are: a) if I get residencia comunitaria, will it no longer be ?permanent? in other words, if anything were to happen to my spouse or we got divorced, could i lose the residency? (with the permanent residency i know i would not).
b) am i REQUIRED to get residencia comunitaria since i am married to a spaniard?

of course, i have called the numbers they provide to make an appointment and turn in the papers and they don?t answer the phone. you are supposed to send in an appointment request by FAX and then they call you when they have an appointment time to offer you? amazing! so they could call me at any time from now to never and i have to be prepared to say which of these two options i want.

thanks for any help, i can?t find any information on this anywhere!