Re-entering Spain with two days left on tourist visa?
Posted: 28 July 2008 01:28 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-06-30

Hi,

I posted this on the Legal Issues forum, too.

I’m an American citizen, and I’ve posted before with questions about returning to the US for Christmas while I’m working as an au pair (and eventually overstaying my tourist visa) in Spain this year. I’ve thought about saying I’ve lost my passport and getting a new one while I’m back in the US for Christmas, but I’d rather not do that. I’m wondering if this option might work:

I could leave Spain on my 87th day to return for Christmas, and then when I flew back, I’d still have two days left to be in Spain legally. Would they let me in with no problem if I have two days left? Or might they think that’s suspicious? Would it help if I book a cheap flight to London to leave Spain on the 90th day (a flight I wouldn’t take), just so it would look like I planned to leave?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Maria

Posted: 28 July 2008 10:06 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Maria,

It’s probably a better idea than lots of people’s, but, hell, could you not just risk it? Ie. go home for xmas, then come back and hope they don’t ask? I know some people who’ve done this - no problems. (yet)

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 28 July 2008 10:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-06-30

Thanks. I’d be really tempted to risk it, but I’d feel terrible if I ended up not being able to go back to work for the family in Spain.