Move to Spain with much to offer
Posted: 30 November 2006 02:43 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-30

Hi All

I’m sure I’m not alone here.  For some years I’ve been wanting to leave UK for Spain where I tour each summer on my motorbike.  Over the next 2 years my hand will be forced when my job as an Analyst Programmer will be gone.
I want to move to Spain to a Finca so I can modernise and the missus can grow her own veg, preferably northern or Valancia area where I’m told there’s a thriving expat community.
Very little demand for my skills field but I’d like to earn my way doing what I love, DiY’ing and involved with building work.
Even though developers have taken over the major building work, is their much of a demand for English speaking DiYers who are damn good at what they do ??
I’m also aware that many who leave for Spain eventually return because things havent worked out.  I have two years preparation to make sure this wont happen to me.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Posted: 01 December 2006 08:47 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Mr. Exile, I think the most important thing to getting self-employed work like DiYing or whatever, is to do the marketing properly. Get the word out, hit the ad scene in the local paper, etc. There ARE plenty of expats in Spain that would be willing to hire a fellow expat to DiY (especially if they had a bad experience the last time), it’s just a matter of where and how you do things.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 December 2006 06:10 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-30

Many Thanks. hadnt thought of this, will take this onboard.