Non Residents What paperwork
Posted: 29 September 2008 09:12 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-09-29

We bought our property outside Murcia in October last year.At the time we stood in Line at the Alicante Ministerio Del Interior at 4am & got our NIE numbers.At the time we signed so much paperwork we didn’t know whether we were coming or going.
I have just heard that we may need a non residents certificate to prevent our bank accounts being frozen.Does anyone know anything about this certficate & how we get it? We do not live out there only use it for holidays.

Posted: 29 September 2008 10:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

where did you hear that , ?

Posted: 29 September 2008 10:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29

it has been in various newspapers in the UK.The Times etc

Posted: 30 September 2008 02:00 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

has you bank in touch with you ? by phone post are net ? was it in spanish papers ?
if going to happen it thay be in touch with you
and we well all so tell you aswell

if you spend les then 180 days in spain you ok any more and could be up for payying tax

Posted: 30 September 2008 12:46 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-09-29

Our bank has not been in touch.It may well be we already have the certificate.I am out on Monday so I will check.Really the question was posed in case anyone knew anything about it & I could speed the process up by having the paperwork ready for next Monday.I’m only out for the weekend so don’t have a lot of time.

Posted: 30 September 2008 03:09 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

As far as I can make out, it’s up to your bank to contact you for a declaration of non-residency.  Ours did so by e-mailing me a form, in English, which I printed off and sent back in the post.  I think in theory a copy of your NIE counts as proof of non-res status, and your bank should have this already, so if they don’t contact you I think you’re all right. If your Spanish (or his English) is up to it, though, I would ask when you next see your bank manager, or e-mail him.  If you’re thinking of the same Times article I saw, it’s a confused and self-contradictory piece of journalism (that’s The Times for you) which talks about certifying residence when they mean NON-residence.  If you want to save some time on your next trip, take a few photocopies of your NIE certificate and passport with you (goes for your partner’s paperwork too), they might come in handy.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com