Cars in Spain
Posted: 14 December 2006 10:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-12-14

Hello,
I have recently been told that I can bring an English registered car into Spain and no longer have to have it registered onto Spainsh plates if I want to keep it in Spain. Does anyone know if this is right?

Posted: 10 January 2007 11:58 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-01-06

This discussion deals with issues connected with Telefonica. Why not post your question someplace else - you just might get an answer…

Posted: 11 January 2007 02:08 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Good call Badger.

*moved*

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 June 2007 09:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-06-08

Hi there,
Your UK registered car is limited on it’s stay in Spain by the length of time that your insurance company allows you overseas after this time you have no insurance and your car becomes illegal as it does with any one of the three things being out of date ie your current UK road tax(including proof of payment whilst driving in Spain)your current MOT and of course your insurance.
So it’s always a good idea to check with your insurance company before you leave the UK.
As you may have noticed there are an awful amount of UK registered cars here in Spain and I am afraid to say that many of them are illegal and at last the Guardia Civil are starting to stop more on routine roadside checks and if your Uk registered car has been here in Spain for more than it’s allocated time you could be in with a heavy fine and the risk of having you car confiscated.

hope this helps a little.

Posted: 09 June 2007 01:20 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-06-08

Hi,
One thing that I forgot to mention was that as with most legalities there are normally always loopholes

‘Legally you are entitled to drive a foreign-registration vehicle in Spain for six months a year. Your car can remain here permanently, but must be garaged and off the road for six months. You should also remember that if your car is not legal, you have no insurance cover, whilst your car should be insured in the country it is registered in.
So as I mentioned before if you have not informed your insurance company about your extended stay and if you should have the bad luck of being involved in an accident then you can be guaranteed that your insurance company will ‘back pedal the quickest that you have ever seen’.