Using a Spanish issued MAESTRO debit card online
Posted: 07 November 2008 09:17 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Has anyone encountered the following problem?

I’ve been trying to pay for online purchases using my MAESTRO debit card issued by a local Spanish bank, on Play.com but it seems to be declined and the card not recognised.

I have used the same card to make purchases on other UK based sites and some in the USA without any problems.

As a test, I tried to make purchases on some other sites and encountered problems with “issue date” or “issue number” faults, which many Spanish Maestro cards don’t have. This can apparently be solved by selecting “issue number 0”.

Some sites would say that the 15 digit card number was an invalid Maestro number.

Has anyone else had any problems using a Spanish bank issued Maestro debit card online? If so, are there any solutions?

I’m loathe to get a Mastercard or Visa credit card, because I like to manage my finances tightly. If there’s no money in the bank, you cant use a debit card right!!  😉

I’ve used my Spanish Maestro card in the UK and France in person, but it seems there’s problems online occasionally.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 07 November 2008 11:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

yes it to do with there vat rate ..... thast why its not working

Posted: 23 September 2009 12:23 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

My bank (Cajamar) would only give me a VISA Electron… (they said it works likes switch/meastro)...
I have only used it on-line to book flights with EasyJet.. and it worked fine - and as it is a ‘cash purchase’ there was no
handling charge!  (Likwise Aer Lingus let me book online for no charge with it too - But they don’t charge extra for using Visa/Mastercard anyway!).

Posted: 23 September 2009 02:00 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I had an account with the BBVA and Cajamar both issue electron,used it everywhere with no stupid charges.

Posted: 23 September 2009 03:23 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Some company have problems with address , masterbeat , only let used usa address for copyright for USA . same with electron cards aswell , Visa Electron dot get charged booking fees with most airlines , susanspain

jurdy