How to get the CAP
Posted: 10 November 2008 11:23 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-09-03

Hello all,

I?m a recent college graduate from the USA currently living in Spain with a scholarship to teach English for the next two years.  In the States, I am a licensed Spanish teacher and my degree is in Spanish and the teaching of foreign languages.  Here?s my question.  When the scholarship is up, I?d like to stay in Spain and continue working as an English teacher.  In order to do that in a public school, though, I need to first do the CAP course and get certified to be a teacher here. 

Here?s the thing… I don?t really know who I need to talk to in order to figure out how to do the CAP.  I think I have to homologar my degree first, but since my degree is in Spanish, I don?t know if it?s going to really even work for me to be an English teacher here.  Once my degree is homologado, I think I can then do the CAP course…. is that how it works?

Has anyone else done the CAP in Spain to teach in a public school?  Does anyone know where I can go or what ministry I could talk to for information about becoming a teacher here?  I know all the laws for teaching in the States, but here in Spain I?m lost…..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Posted: 06 January 2009 10:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-06

According to my borther-in-law, who is Spanish and teaching English in Madrid, you need to contact the University of whatever city you’re in (the certificate is valid regardless of where you take it).  I’m a US citizen married to a Spanish citizen, currently residing in New York but hoping to move to Spain next Fall.  I need to validate my MA in English and am looking into do a doctorado in Spain (much easier and quicker than in the US).  I was also looking into the CAP so I’d be interested in how you make out.  Good Luck.

Frank