1 2 > 
1 of 2
Possibility of Digital English TV in Spain (e.g. Sky Plus) for my Spanish wife (sigh!)
Posted: 14 January 2009 06:31 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-10-22

Hola,

One of my wife’s pre-requisites to moving back to Spain from England (she’s spanish) is that she MUST be able to view english television. This is a must have luxury (sigh!). After 14 years in the UK its got to the stage where she can’t go without things like BBC docs, dramas, and dare I say it - eastenders!

Anyway, my question is whether its possible to legally have installed a SKY digital satellite dish, e.g. Sky + and legally pay for subscriptions. Has anyone got this set up? I know my dad did it when he was living in Estepa, near Malaga, but he paid a ‘one off’ fee which I recall was a bit of a con.

Has anyone got experience of getting a SKY system installed and setup in spain legal or non legal?

Sorry for spanish television, but my wife thinks its terrible most of the time (and that is saying something from a spanish person!).

Thanks, Steve

Posted: 14 January 2009 11:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

freesat is what you need , buy box in the uk and just get hooked up to a dish when you get to spain ( problem is that free uk channels used Astra 2d , footprint is beamed to uk ireland and a 1 - 1,,.2 meter dish would be need on CDS http://www.freesat.co.uk  just need to put you postcode in so the box know whats area you in for you loacl tv channels are . I.e. bbc london are bbc north west

if you looking for sly tv
With over 8 million subscribers, Sky is the UK?s most popular digital satellite entertainment service provider.
Using advanced satellite technology, they deliver access to more than 200 channels of programming to homes and businesses that have digital satellite equipment supplied by Sky; this equipment includes a small satellite dish (minidish), a Sky box (a digital satellite receiver) and a remote control.
Information on Sky Digital, Sky+, a Sky Digital FAQ, Sky remote codes and Sky’s EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) explained.
Sky HD launched on 22 May 2006 in the UK and the Republic of Ireland to enable high definition channels on Sky Digital to be viewed.
Sky has been the only British datellite platform for many years, with the arrival of Freesat, Sky has real competion in the satellite market. Sky will of course continue to be the first choice for those wanting the best sports coverage and the latest films .
sly cost any think from 24 pounds to 100 pound per month

same sport you have on slysport is on canal + , tve tdt channels (that free )  look at http://www.tdt.es are www.plus.es

any more give me a shot
jurdy

Posted: 14 January 2009 11:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

Thanks Jurdy. Will look into it all. I thought you could at least get the basic setup by getting a satellite dish, sky box and point it in the right direction and you can get free to view/air channels but not the subscription channels like sports/movies/etc.

I might be wrong on this though. If someone could enlighten me?

Posted: 14 January 2009 11:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

freesat what you need then 140 channels and more to be added soon

Posted: 15 January 2009 12:20 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Sounds like some of the channels your missus likes are not “freeview” and only come with a Sky or Sky+ subscription.

I suppose it depends where you will be living, but here in Granada I know a company that I refer my own clients to who can get a subscription based system set up legitimately(ish) - (given that in actuality no sky system used in spain is totally legitimate as they don’t support end users outside countries where they have broadcast rights…)

I think it’s done by registering the subscription to a UK address, or something along those lines.

The other alternative as jurdyr say though is the freeview and freesat options. Though your missus might not be able to get some of the channels she likes with a subscription you may have in the UK.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 15 January 2009 01:28 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

sky tv is for uk only , people who like sky tv for its sport and movies would used there address are mates address with uk bank account , same sports is on Digial plus in spain and movies at out lot faster then sky tv in the uk , with english audio (movies channels only )

1 dont ring with you id showing from spain you get cut off

2 no sky agent legitimate out side UK and Ireland , so tell you there are “Will big fat lie , as in the case off telemirco rebrodcasting and people useing sky logos well told take off websites in spain last summer

3 pub useing sky tv for there gains are hit by sky from time to time as there a commercial rate , from 400 pounds per month to 700 pounds , big the place more you pay

bbc 1,2,3,4 , cbbc and more look there channel list http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Genre&genre_id=6

Posted: 15 January 2009 06:58 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

Ok peeps and thanks. I have sky+ at home in uk fully subscribed, i.e. i get a billed each month and I have a viewing card.

If I take that to spain and then connect it up myself do you know if I will get cut off sooner or later by sky?

If so, lets cut to the chase here right now…

...how or where can I get sky+ with all the channels ILLegally? 😊 Forget the legal way as its a hassle and I’ll have enough hassles when I’m trying to sort out my life there.

Thanks for your replies - keem em coming!

Steve

Posted: 15 January 2009 07:05 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

We bought our Sky box and card to Spain and hooked up to a sky dish,we still pay through our british bank account with a british add that we moved from about a year ago and have had no probs.
Talk to people who live in the area you want to live in and get a recommendation of a local Sat fitting company.
Its very simple we have done it on and off for 7 years with no probs

Posted: 20 January 2009 10:16 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

We’ve had our subscription for over a year now so I am going to try and take all the equipment inc. the dish over to spain and continue paying the subscription somehow. The only problem is where do I register my address with sky as I will no longer be living in the registered address that they currently have on record?

Posted: 20 January 2009 10:39 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Your dish will not work here so dont bother bringing it over.
Use a friend or relatives add.

Posted: 20 January 2009 11:21 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

what part off spain you going to be living in ? then i know size dish you need
jurdy

Posted: 16 February 2009 08:44 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

Not sure where we’re going to live just yet - will be scouting/touring areas this year.

What dish do I need then for Castilla la Mancha? (Motilla del Palancar).

Posted: 16 February 2009 09:41 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

You need 1 . 2 meter dish in Madrid area , this will get bought night and daytime , you could get away with a Dish 85 cm dish but would not be the best ..... but if you get the 1.2 meter dish you can used Monoblock LNB   , Top performance lnb enables reception of astra and hotbird from 1   lnb

More channels ..... if you looking any good deal with D+ 6 months , halfprice deals on top package off 51 euros .. more pm me
jurdy

Posted: 30 October 2009 10:21 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

as the link above , dont used it get own cards from uk with uk address as seen in spain a company that was taken money from the people went wall and people where cought out some to tune off 180 euros last week

Posted: 05 November 2009 05:12 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-11-05

The way I see it, you do not need the Pay channels ......... BBC, ITV and C4 C5 and all sub channels of those are free.

If you are heading for the Malaga area, you will need a 1.3 to 1.5 metre dish

And sky card or free view, you will never have a legal installation - the UK TV companies do not hold the rights to show any of their programmes outside of the UK, those rights have been purchased by and belong to Spanish companies!

Signature 

Shop direct with household UK High street names in the comfort of your home and wait for delivery direct to your own door.  Husband and wife team have found all the best UK retailers offering delivery direct to your home in Spain at reasonable cost and linked them together in a single site, includes many big household names like Marks & Spencer, Littlewoods, Miss Selfridge, QVC, Waterstones - in fact, over 200 shops.

UK Shopping in Spain

Posted: 18 November 2009 03:38 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

Hi ukshoppinginspain, what do you mean the bbc, etc are free? Do you mean they are available on spanish freesat digital?

Just wondering before I get an engineer out to install a dish and connect my sky+ box to it. I am also going to get TDT digital as I’ve been told that its what we need if we want spanish digital for free, i.e. equivalent to freesat in the uk.

Advice more than welcome. Thanks, Steve

1 2 > 
1 of 2