Where do english speaking expats source their reading books/material from?
Posted: 20 January 2009 10:12 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-10-22

Just wondering where all you english speaking expats source/purchase your english language books? I assume you can get a small selection from stores such as Corte Ingles, but if you really need a regular supply of books then is it a case of getting relatives back home to buy and send or are there services in spain which copy the ‘amazon’ model?

Thanks, Steve

Posted: 21 January 2009 03:14 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Hi, depends where you are.  Most big cities, particularly those with major universities, have bookshops with English-language sections.  In Malaga there’s a good one on the Alameda - can’t remember the name but you can’t miss it - and I’ve been in similar shops in Barcelona, Seville etc.  Amazon UK will deliver most books and some other products to Spanish addresses, though it isn’t cheap.  Spanish website casadellibro has a number of books in English.  Airport bookshops have a selection of (usually low-brow) English books.  Alternatively wherever there’s a bit of an ex-pat concentration there’ll be a second-hand book section somewhere - Arcadia in Cadiar, in the Alpujarra, is one such shop.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 January 2009 04:33 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-12-15

Amazon UK is my favorite for this especially now that the pound is through the floor against the euro.

Other possible places are fnac.es that has an online store that ships all over spain

Cheers

Christian

Posted: 27 January 2009 03:43 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2009-01-26

even though i’m a bit of a webhead, i generally prefer local bookstore. In fuengirola there are a few store that cater to foreigners, including a chain called book world. They have a relatively good selection.
You’ll also find foreign book sections in large eroskis and other super/hipermarkets

Andrew

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 27 January 2009 05:57 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

We have many shops both ‘British’ and Spanish selling English books, or online (lots of options), swop with friends, car boots or the local Library!

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 27 January 2009 09:27 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

If you keep your Amazon parcels small - royal mail sized - you can use redirection combined with Amazon prime, if you order a lot.  Otherwise the rastro in Javea has a fabulous charity secondhand stall with paperbacks for 1E, and I expect anywhere with a strong expat population will offer similar.

Bring on the e-readers I say!  I was able to move out without lugging a single CD as every bit of music I have is now digitised…  in just a couple of years I am sure we’ll be able to do the same cheaply and ubiquitously, which will be a gift to relocators,

Mx

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 31 January 2009 08:07 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Apart from the odd car-boot sale I’ve happened across, it’s usually always Amazon.

Since my parents moved over though, I’ve now got a pretty endless supply of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc…

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 05 February 2009 02:25 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-05

Hi Everyone.

Our shop is mentioned above in one of the posts, it?s called ARCADIA, of CADIAR, in the ALPUJARRAS. 
To clarify, we stock a good range of secondhand books in English and Spanish, fiction and Spain related. We carry the biggest selection of Spanish reference books around, and can also pre order for pick up.  Also, the best bit, we?re usually cheaper than amazon!
We?ve also recently added to the special order line all the top twenty chart books, cd?s and DVD,S.
So next time you are in Cadiar please call in and browse, we also carry all your map and guide requirements.  If you want to order ahead and pick up, email me with your wants list .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), or call/SMS me 646719239.

Posted: 07 February 2009 09:34 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-02-07

If you live in the Costa del Sol, there’s Bookworld, quite a few around in Fuengirola. Another one is FNAC in big malls and cities, there’s an fairly decent English printed books.

If you’re looking for or don’t mind used books and live in the fairly large expat communities, there are “rastros” or flea markets where people sells their second-hand materials, which usually include good sizable collection of books.

Hope that helps.

Signature 

Spain’s Local News in English
Disclaimer: All posts I make are personal opinions, observations and advice only and should not be construed, inferred or taken as facts. Any claims should be directed to me and not to the entity for whom I work.

Posted: 08 February 2009 01:40 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-05

yep, costa del sol dwellers are a bit spoilt for choice, we tend to cater more to inland Andalucia, and the numerous tourists and walkers covering the famous GR7 route. In fact, we started the business due to lack of choice up in them thar hills (now in our third year and flourishing despite the ?crisis?!)

Posted: 08 February 2009 05:02 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-02-07

Nice! I think the Inland is where the real survival skills are put to good use, not only the language but the amenities that many miss and take for granted. Congratulations on the success!

Signature 

Spain’s Local News in English
Disclaimer: All posts I make are personal opinions, observations and advice only and should not be construed, inferred or taken as facts. Any claims should be directed to me and not to the entity for whom I work.

Posted: 16 February 2009 10:14 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-10-22
ARCADIA BOOKS - 05 February 2009 02:25 AM

Hi Everyone.

Our shop is mentioned above in one of the posts, it?s called ARCADIA, of CADIAR, in the ALPUJARRAS. 
To clarify, we stock a good range of secondhand books in English and Spanish, fiction and Spain related. We carry the biggest selection of Spanish reference books around, and can also pre order for pick up.  Also, the best bit, we?re usually cheaper than amazon!
We?ve also recently added to the special order line all the top twenty chart books, cd?s and DVD,S.
So next time you are in Cadiar please call in and browse, we also carry all your map and guide requirements.  If you want to order ahead and pick up, email me with your wants list .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), or call/SMS me 646719239.

Good - I might be in contact with you for my map requirements on the different areas of spain that I am going to visit. I currently have a michelin road atlas which is good enough for driving, but I want to explore on foot and by road bike and mountainbike. Do you have ‘explorer’ type maps?