Applying for residence card
Posted: 17 January 2007 01:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-01-17

First time post, please help - my question is - do i have to apply, then wait to obtain my NIE number before i can go to the foreigners office and apply for my residence card. I am moving to Barcelona from the UK shortly and sharing an apartment with a friend that is already living there, i have all the documents ready and i was under the impression i could just go to the foreigners office with copies of passport , passport picture’s , proof of residence etc and get the application for my residence card underway, but after reading a little it look’s like i have to go to the police station first and apply for a NIE number first and then wait for this to arrive , is this correct ?  thanks Paul

Posted: 17 January 2007 10:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Yep, right.

You technically don’t need your residence card, but check out this post about renewing your residencia for a lot more info about that.

Good luck with your move!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 January 2007 11:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-17

Thanks for a speedy response, but unfortunately i will need a residence card. My wife is South American and is currently staying and studying there. She will be finished her studies in about 6 months and the only way i can get her to come and join me in Spain is to have a residence card and invite her across on sometime called a family re-grouping visa.
Some my question still stands - do i have to go and obtain a NIE number before i can go and apply for my residence card?
And if i do does it take about a 1 week or 2 after i put in the application before i get the NIE number. Thanks again

Posted: 18 January 2007 01:36 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

If I remember correctly and from my impressions of others’ NIE and residencia-getting experiences, Give it at least 4-8 weeks to get your NIE, then apply for your residencia and it’ll take at least that long again.

And yes, you’ll need the NIE which is your governmental ID number to get your residence card.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 January 2007 06:47 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-17

Thankyou very much for your help.