Certificate of residency—does that indicate the number of months? Language school route possible?
Posted: 01 March 2009 11:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-26

Hi, I am starting to plan on living in Spain as a retired person (US citizen) beginning June 2009.  My current employer will pay for “resettlement” benefits but I need to provide proof of residency of at least one year in the country of my choosing.  I intend to enroll in a language school to improve my spanish the first 3-6 months and can pay up to 6 months tuition.  I thought that would be a good way also to get to know the regions of Spain and decide on my favorite place of resettlement.  I know that I am required to get a certificate of residency and can get it quite readily (although it’s a lengthy process, I hear), especially with a guarantee from the school that I am legitimately enrolled.  My question is:  does the certificate indicate the number of months you are a legitimate “resident” or does it have an expiry date?  I need to show that I am a legitimate resident for at least one year to qualify for the resettlement benefit.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Question 2:  do I need a lawyer to do my residency application process?  Any idea how much it costs to hire such a lawyer and can you recommend a reputable one?  I am thinking of residing in any of these places:  Sevilla, Alicante, Cadiz, Valencia and anywhere in between.  Any favorite you can recommend with a vibrant art and food culture?  I prefer to be close to most everything either on foot or by public transport.  Your honest opinion please is much appreciated.