going legal on home-made preserves business - what does she need to do
Posted: 06 March 2009 01:11 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-03

Dear All,
A good friend of mine asked me what she needs to do to set up a legal version of her business making and selling home-made preserves in Spain.

She confided in me that she has nightmares about being fined and though she has a legal job in Spain (lucky her) she is dreaming of giving it up to go for her preserves-business full-time!

I have tasted the preserves she produces from organic fruit & veg from her garden and they are delish & pretty unique! This is also reflected in how well her products are selling, so I believe she has a good chance to make a steady, if small, full-time income out of it and really would like see her succeed.

If you have any advice, please help me help her. It will be greatly appreciated by all of us who are her faithful clients if she can sleep peacefully, live her dream and produce more!  😛

Here?s the details:
She has the product
She has the company name, logo, labels, etc
She has the business plan in Spanish
She is already a fully registered employed worker, but wishing to give up when her business can support her
She is enrolled to do the course Manipulador de Alimentos Major Riesgo - she has been told she needs this

Here are the questions:
What kinds of licences would she need to sell foodproducts?
What requirements should her kitchen conform to? Or could she suffice with renting/working from a bar-kitchen that conforms to standards already?
Which type of company would be the most appropriate for her to register?

I won?t go into asking about what to do to be able to put “organic” on her labels, as I fully understand she would have to jump through quite a few hoops to make that official, but if you have any pointers for that side of things they are very welcome too.

Thanks ever so much for any advice you may be able to give on behalf of all fans of her products!  😝

Kind regards from the Alpujarras,
Yoli.

Posted: 06 March 2009 03:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I’m not experienced in this, I’m just being logical, but shouldn’t she talk to the middle-men?  If she gets listed by a shop or a distributor, they will know what standards she needs to adhere to.  Or, if she’s just selling from a market stall or via a few local bars, nobody is likely to care much.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com