1 of 2
Bank Account Help Needed Urgently!
Posted: 25 March 2009 02:28 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-03-25

Hello,

I am living inMadrid and trying to open a bank account. Apparently I need a green piece of paper called a Certificado de no residencia ‘temporaly’. The nice (English speaking) lady at the bank told me to go to the comissaire up the road and get one issued.

I have been sent from pillar to post for the last few days and no one can tell me where to get this from. I have given in a form called an EX - 13 Solicitud de Certifico? and got something to pay (I don’t know who, or where though) but this isn’t thre green form I need.

So can someone tell me either 1) Where I can actually get this green form

or

2) Where you can open a bank account with just your passport - I’ve heard on here it can be done.

I really need a bank account before the end of the month so I can get paid from work, and as such pay my rent and eat! I’m getting pretty frantic to be honest.

Also my Spanish is terrible.

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

where you from ? passport ?

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-03-25

UK, British citizen, UK passport.

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

take look here :- http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/banking_options_for_expats_in_spain/

as you UK passport you get Nonresident bank account: If you don?t have an NIE card and you come from another country, you are considered nonresident. Based on the regulations of the Bank of Spain, nonresidents can hold bank accounts in euros or in foreign currency. As identification, you must have a valid passport or the ID number of your country of origin. You also have to justify your nonresident status when you open the account (or within 15 days). This is because for a nonresident account, the bank does not withhold a percentage of the interest earned. Generally every six months, the bank does a check to confirm your nonresident status. If you acquire resident status any time after opening the account, you must notify the bank and give them your NIE. The fees for a resident account are cheaper than for a nonresident account. then when you get you Nie you can change it over , used you uk Address

La Caxia would best one to do that bank hours 08.30 - 2 pm

Posted: 25 March 2009 05:52 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-03-25

That’s all very well but then you have to ask ‘how’ and ‘where’ and ‘what with’.

Thankfully I found on another forum a particular branch of La Caixa - C/ Arenal, 24 - that will open an account for you with just your passport. My local La Caixa told me to come back in August when I’ve got my NIE. I was trying to opem my account at Caja Madrid and was shown their terms and conditions stating they won’t open an account without the certificado.

Do you have any idea what the EX - 13 form is for?

Posted: 25 March 2009 08:30 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

you can open Nonresident bank account in any bank in spain , use you uk address and pastport

yes i did it for mate off many few weeks ago in la caixa branch

Posted: 26 March 2009 05:43 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2008-10-24
jurdyr - 25 March 2009 03:55 PM

take look here :- http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/banking_options_for_expats_in_spain/

as you UK passport you get Nonresident bank account: If you don?t have an NIE card and you come from another country, you are considered nonresident.

This is not correct, your NIE has nothing to do in this.  If you have a NIE, you still get the Non-Resident account, because some one with a NIE is a non resident !! 
Most banks (and I have been told that by law every bank should ask that) need your passport, your NIE and a certificate stating you are a non-resident. 
I opened my account at La Caixa, and they take care themselfs for the certificate, I just have to pay a little fee for that.

Posted: 26 March 2009 06:55 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

Clav what i am was try to get across is EU menbers can open account in spain with there Eu pasport and home address , this i have done for mate my few week ago in la caixa bank , just happen two used this bank , the link is guide to how the banking works here , not all the time it works , Ja ja ja

jurdy

Posted: 26 March 2009 03:31 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-03-25

Yes, you SHOULD be able to - but in reality you CAN’T!

Like I said, my local La Caixa told me I couldn’t open an account without my NIE, another branch opened one on the spot. Caja Madrid insist on the certificato de no resedencia while BBVA want all sorts of documentation. So it appears to depend on the branch as well as the bank.

Still easier than opening an account in England though…almost.

Posted: 26 March 2009 04:11 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I opened accounts with the BBVA and Cajamar with a UK add and my Passport,done in 10 mins no probs.
A lot easier than England beleive me i have tried and failed mant times

Posted: 27 March 2009 04:26 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2008-10-24

The law says a bank has to have a certificado de no residencia within 6 months, if they don’t have it, the law says they have to block the account !!
I wrote several banks to get information on opening an account and what I needed and all banks answered I needed passport and NIE (and the certificado de no resendencia, allthough some of them would take care of that themself).  (Banks were La Caixa, Deutsche Bank, CAM, Barclays, Banco Popular and an other but I can’t remeber name).

Posted: 27 March 2009 04:35 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

if you from the EU you can open bank account in any Eu state (That the EU law wich spain used aswell ) Non-Resident account can be open with passport and home address in the EU , if you used the account in spain more 180 day you account will be blocked , you just have go back and get reopen again . my borther has account here for his holiday and used his Uk address (that was open in 2004 ) by usding he account out spain ie interbanking , iban transfer for funds and atm withdrawments in spain you fine . you can also log cash aswell

Posted: 09 July 2009 04:54 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-09

What bank would you recomend for a US Citizen, and what docs are needed. I will be in Burgos at the end of September and need a bank acoount.

Posted: 09 July 2009 05:36 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

la Caixa will do,  you can open Nonresident bank account in any bank in spain , use you Usa address and pastport

jurdy

Posted: 09 July 2009 05:50 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Welcome to Spain and her funny little querks.

I have to say though that Jurdyr is correct, all EU nationals can open a non resident account in any EU country.

Some small branches that aren`t used to dealing with Extranjero`s usually push the “I`ll be obstinate button”, especially if your lingo is bad and its in the AM.

Best time to go to a bank is around 12.30 in the AM, any earlier and there are queues and the cashiers/managers usually at breakfast, again.

If you don`t have a Cert of residencia, then technically you ain`t resident, so you don`t need to prove it.

But rules in Spain are interpreted by idiots and implemented by monkeys who worship the ground the almighty idiots walk on, so they never question procedures or suggest adopting more practical workin solutions.

Thats why there still 10 yrs behind the rest of the EU.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 17 April 2010 05:09 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Does anyone have any specific experience of Cajamar?
A friend (who only visits every now and again, but her account is used for paying bills etc on a regular basis!)... is unsure of how to proceed.
She opened an account with them 2yrs ago, and from what I understand the bank should be writing to her to ask her to sign the ‘non-resident’ status again so everyone is happy. (And renewable each 2yrs thereafter).
However, before she goes to see them (as no letter has arrived), she wants to ask about this non-resident certificate and how to go about it/how necessary it is etc. 

We have heard of many people (mainly people who say they are non-resident but it is obvious from their bank account they are here 12/12), that have had their accounts frozen.  (Inc Cajamar!)

Would be pleased to hear re non-residency cert so she can prepare herself if she walks in the bank to ‘declare’ herself!

Thanks 😉

1 2 > 
1 of 2