If you know an estate agent is lying, what can you do??????
Posted: 15 April 2009 02:32 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-09-27

We are an estate agent in a very rural area in Spain. We have a very good reputation and a lot of business is done through word of mouth and recommendations.

In the last few months a new ‘guy’ has appeared in the area, and if he was working in a fair and legal way we would just class it as fair competition.

BUT when you actually know and can prove that he is lying and telling clients what they want to hear, which obviously is not always the truth what can we do?????????

We actually have a lawyer working on our behalf and trying to prove ‘publicidad enganoso’, which is basically that it’s a crime to misrepresent a property for sale, but hey, lets look at all the corrupt Mayors, construction companies, Lawyers etc etc etc etc in many parts of Spain…...................so what chance do we have??????.

I am feeling so annoyed about this situation, because we actually have to fight for the same clients to make a sale.

No disrespect to us foreigners, but when most of us get of the plane, we actually leave our brains on the seat, because we want to hear only what we want to hear from many of these lying estate agents, and they depend on this for their business/rip off/sales or whatever you want to call them.

Do we have any Lawyers or people in the know on this forum, as to how we can stop these ‘cowboys’.

Because Spain is getting so much shit from Brussels, maybe I should write to them.

ANy help apprecialted.

Jools

Posted: 15 April 2009 02:43 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

hope you have footage off him making the , lying and telling clients what they want to hear . We know where that going to lead ..... doggy paper work and back handers , so what papers will this bunch be on ?

Posted: 15 April 2009 02:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

I can Understand Your Frustration!!

As A Half Spaniard Myself I know the Spanish do not play by the rules Hell They still get away with it Today!!!

What you have to remember is that Spain Is Still Young in “Politics” as they do not have a Clue how to use the laws they have there is lots of examples and yeap a lot of people are getting away with there criminal Ways…

Hence why Brussels is Intervening!

If you get no were with things are not right you always Write to The European Parliament and voice your concerns and proof (If Any) If your seen the news In the last two week Spain Has had a warning from EU Law about the Land Grab… They have until next month to decide If not It will result in Millions of Funds from the EU Being withdrawn…

Don?t take this personally but.. Lawyers are pretty much the same they get paid a lot of money to do nothing and when they do its practically to late!

So your best bet is to Right to EU and with your concerns They always write Back!

Regards Mac

Posted: 15 April 2009 02:53 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Or you can do what Jurdy Suggests Video or Some how catch him/her Lying! and send it to the local Press Spain love this sort of thing and that be one more Rouge Off the Street!

Posted: 15 April 2009 03:27 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

o the papers would have feild day and tv station would up like shot , youtube helps aswell

can you fine out where he come from .... then post in his loacl web forum site there and many see few up for the day looking for him , think it not the frist time and wont be last time he going to telling few porky,s .... ha havnt see that movie in while ....

Posted: 01 June 2009 03:58 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

One good thing about the “economic crisis” is that where I live, most of the rogues and arseholes have either fled back to the UK with their tail between their legs, or simply gone out of business and disappeared.

This leaves the honest and reliable people to get on with things as they’ve always done.

As for this “rogue” agent, it’s unfortunately only going to be proven in all likelyhood when someone complains they’ve been ripped off. I can understand your frustrations at potentially losing business to such a person, but ultimately, I would say it’s a case of “buyer beware”. If some people are prepared to lap up the crap that they’re fed without doing their own homework and investigations, more fool them really. That might sound harsh, but I’ve often found over the years that all us honest people can ever do is offer genuine advice… wether people listen to that advice is entirely up to them.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 02 June 2009 12:40 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-02-25

Yes this is very frustrating indeed. It is the same in my profession where unauthorised (or partly), unqualified, uninsured, commission based financial advisers continue to ply their trade by saying whatever is necessary to secure a sale and without doing what is actually in the client’s best interests. I’m continually astonished that expats do not ask their adviser if they are qualified or not, whether they are insured, how they get paid or if they are authorised.

What action can you take? Whatever you do, do not sink to his level. Quality professionals win in the long run. Keep your message to potential clients clear and concise, tell them about the “scams” to look out for, highlight your professionalism and your experience, and get written testimonials from previously delighted clients.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Jeremy

Signature 

Jeremy Askew
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremyaskew