NIE Number
Posted: 01 February 2007 05:03 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-11

We currently live in the UK and are in the process of buying a business to set up in Spain. I understand that it is fundamental to obtain an NIE number which is fine but as we don’t have a spanish address can we still get this number? We are going to spain shortly for a few days to sort out some things and we were hoping to get the NIE application started whilst we were there. Can we use our UK address?
Thanks

Posted: 01 February 2007 11:45 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-02-01

Hi, I have only just returned from aplying for my NIE so that is why Im writing this. Apparently yes you do need an address in Spain or a friends address you can use. However, when I went in I had already downloaded the forms filled them and photocopied my passport. I walked straight up to the counter, the man looked at the photocopy and checked it against my passport and stamped the forms accordingly and told me that I was to return in 20 days to get my number. There was no checking of addresses, or letting details or questions about why, when and for how long I was in Spain for. I would however recommend getting your NIE as soon as possible, because Im stuck without it at the moment. I have been told you can do it at a Spanish Embassy in Britain, although I cant verify that one, and I would imagine that there a bit more thorough there. Anyway, hope that helps a bit and good luck.
Davy

Posted: 02 February 2007 01:45 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

NO if you look at the form available on the web via this site it asks for a Spanish address. Talk to your agent or solicitor there are ways round it!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 February 2007 06:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-02-02

Regarding the need for an NIE number.  If you apply at a Police Station in Spain you simply return to the same place to collect your number when it is ready.  All well and good but you’ve got to be in Spain to do that.

We applied for our NIE numbers at the Spanish Consulate in London (there is another one in Manchester I believe).  Visit their website for the necessary instructions then turn up (no appointment necessary) between 0930-1330 Mon-Fri.  They charge you ?22.00 (cash only) to process your application.

They send it to the appropriate authority in Spain who in turn send a letter with the NIE number to your nominated Spanish address.
We don’t yet have a Spanish address so we used that of some friends who already live there.  Equally suitable would be your estate agent or, better still, the address of your abogado.

As a matter of interest you do not actually need your NIE until you complete on your purchase, so you will have employed an abogado early enough in the proceedings to use his address.  Our numbers took 6 weeks to arrive.

Going back to the application procedure in London you can download the necessary form from the website.  It is in Spanish but very easily translatable.  It must be correct in all details before the consulate staff will accept it.  They do not have time to correct your mistakes or carry out translations.  In particular make sure your reason for needing an NIE is completed as well as the Spanish address.

As we have learnt the goal that is Spain is only gained with a bucket full of patience!

Best of luck,
Phil

Posted: 03 February 2007 03:42 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-10-11

Many thanks for all your comments.
I have heard that at some police stations you can get your NIE number on the same day but I guess that this is not the norm. We have friends in Spain so hopefully we can use their address on the form.
Nicola