1 2 > 
1 of 2
Looking for a cheap “official” language program
Posted: 29 May 2009 04:53 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-05-29

Long, chicken-or-the-egg story: I want to go to a music school in Barcelona, but first I have to pass a Spanish test (Catalan, actually) I can study there without being officially in the program but I need a student visa (which I can’t get without the Spanish…Aaarrrghhh). So what I am thinking of is finding a cheap spanish program, and learning spanish while studying music part time until I pass the stupid test.

I looked online for Spanish programs in Barcelona and there was page after page of total ripoffs designed to hook stupid Americans. I am positive there are cheaper programs but it has to be an official, government recognized school so I can get a visa. Yes, I know I can do this all illegally on a tourist visa. I don’t want to.

Thanks for suggestions, and particularly links to reasonably priced language schools in and around Barcelona.

Also, any other crafty ideas for getting a student visa would be greatly appreciated. I’m an american but I teach English in Korea.

Posted: 30 May 2009 03:16 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

Do you need to learn Spanish or Catalan? Those are two totally different languages!! Or do you need both?

In another thread someone posted about this program: http://www.mepsyd.es/exterior/usa/en/programs/us_assistants/default.shtml

It’s a government program where you teach English in Spain.. it also requires “some knowledge” of Spanish. But I’m not sure how much..  Also, i’m not sure how hard it would be to get placed in Barcelona. It says you can pick the “region” but they choose the city.

But if you could qualify for that you could get a student visa through it. And since the teaching is only 12 hours a week you might able to take classes at the same time.

Posted: 30 May 2009 06:18 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

Twelve hours a week isn’t bad, but it looks like they are looking for younger folks. I am considerably older than the cherubs in the picture. Also, they say the program is to promote cultural understanding between our two countries, for when I return to the U.S.  I am not planning to return to the U.S., so I am not sure I am the candidate they are looking for. Thanks, though for the idea.

And I think I must learn Catalan. I thought they were similar, but I guess not.

Posted: 30 May 2009 07:13 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

I would look into this school a little more.. if they want you to learn Catalan don’t you think it means the classes are probably taught in that language?

Catalan is a romance language, but if you know Spanish you cannot understand Catalan and vice versa. It’s like the difference between Spanish and French or Portuguese.

But if it’s Catalan you need to learn, you can do that for free in Barcelona, I’ve read that the Catalan government offers free classes in the city. Unfortunately the Web site for the program is in Spanish! Here it is, anyway:  http://www.cpnl.cat/

You might be able to find info in English somewhere if you search around.

As for the “cultural ambassador” thing; I don’t think there is an official age limit.. but they might favor younger candidates, I’m not sure.  And you wouldn’t have to tell them whether or not you were going back to the US!

PS If you’re American how are you able to stay in Spain long enough to learn Catalan without a visa?

Posted: 30 May 2009 07:47 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

The student visa is what I am after. I need to attend an ‘official’ school so I can get a student visa. Then I want to study music part time at my school, and extend my student visa when I pass the Catalan test. For that reason, I want to get a student visa before coming to Spain, which involves finding a legit program before I leave that is recognized by the government.

Posted: 30 May 2009 08:07 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

In a nutshell—what I am really looking for is the easiest, inexpensive way to get a student visa. I don’t care if its with a cosmetology school. Once I have the student visa, it will be easy to extend it with the school I want to go to. I appreciate all the other suggestions, but to cut to the chase, I want a cheap way to get a student visa. I can figure out Catalan lessons when I get there, it looks like.

Posted: 15 June 2009 03:59 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

Someone else posted a thread about some program called Instituto Hemingway that places you in an internship.. and you get a student visa, apparently. it sounds kind of shady, but there are a couple people who say they’re enrolling this year so you might ask them about their experience..  you have to pay a few hundred euros to participate in the program, but after that you get some kind of stipend to do an internship.

when it comes to taking classes in Spain, I would imagine that most of the classes are going to be in Spanish or a local language, like Catalan.  So it might be tough to get accepted if you don’t know the language of instruction .. but I don’t know.  Personally, I’m applying to MBA programs in Spain. Because they are international programs they are taught in English. However, most of them aren’t cheap. Even the lowliest MBA program is going to cost a few thousands euros.  I think there’s a reason why they don’t make it easy to get visas!

If you find a solution, please share it on the forum!

Posted: 15 June 2009 06:08 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

I looked at Instituto Hemingway. One of the volunteer positions they offer is to be a primary caregiver to someone with HIV/AIDS or with elderly who are not able to care for themselves. For this “internship” they charge the caregiver 450 Euros. That’s totally infuriating.

Posted: 15 June 2009 06:50 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

they actually have “volunteer” and “work” opportunities listed separately. If you read the FAQ it says the only paid positions are in English teaching or in “hospitality “.
I’m sure you would be grossly underpaid, though. But at least you might make your initial investment back.
Like I said before, it sounds shady. But you would apparently get a student visa…  and it’s a lot cheaper than getting an MBA! The nice thing about the government program is that they don’t charge you to participate..  maybe there are other English teaching gigs like that out there. Do you have a bachelor’s degree? If so you might contact your career services dept at that university and see if they know of any legit English teaching programs in Spain.

Posted: 15 June 2009 07:04 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

PS nevermind on the instituto hemingway thing. 1) It’s based in Bilbao and it seems like maybe all of their programs take place there..  I might ask about that except… 2) It seems like a pretty crappy deal the more I read about it.  If you click on “Hospitality Management” under the subhead “Work and Learn” on their web site it says you have to work 30-35 hours a week in exchange for full room and board (Free meals at the hotel.) And you get a stipend of 200 euros a month.

I mean, if you need a place to live and don’t mind eating ONLY at that hotel, then maybe it could work. But doesn’t sound that great, since you’d have no time for other work…  there has to be a better deal out there… good luck in finding it!

Posted: 15 June 2009 07:04 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

That’s the thing. I have a master’s degree and I teach English and American history at a university in Korea. It is sort of tough for me to fit myself into a program designed for high school kids (my receding hairline is a dead give away that I have already graduted high school).

The other thing is, I have a couple dollars. When I said ‘cheap’ I meant affordable. I can afford a few thousand Euros for a good program.

Posted: 16 June 2009 08:26 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

Well, if you’re interested in a real university you could take a class at universitat pompeu fabra. it’s a state funded school so the tuition isn’t too too expensive:

http://www.upf.edu/en/index.shtml

Posted: 16 June 2009 01:29 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

Thanks, Sally. That is a very interesting idea. They also have some other master’s programs in music that are possible. as well. Much appreciated.

Posted: 25 August 2009 08:12 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-05-26

Hi Trevor,
I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you did manage to find a cheap “official” Spanish School in the Barcelona area?
Thanks

Posted: 26 August 2009 06:30 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-29

Hi Ausi,

The school above that Sally recommended seemed to be the best that I have seen so far.

Ausi Abroad - 25 August 2009 08:12 PM

Hi Trevor,
I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you did manage to find a cheap “official” Spanish School in the Barcelona area?
Thanks

Posted: 01 September 2009 08:29 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

You know Trevor.. why couldn’t you enroll in one class at this music school and apply for a student visa in order to attend the class? Maybe you could just keep renewing the student visa? Not sure exactly how that works, but if you are only taking one class that doesn’t make you any less a student.. I dont’ see why you’d have to neccesarily be accepted into the full time program.  Another option could be a language school like this one: http://www.caminobarcelona.com/barcelona/studying-abroad.php
Not sure how legit they are but they have some visa info on their Web site.

1 2 > 
1 of 2