MOving to Spain from Canada
Posted: 04 February 2007 12:49 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-02-03

Hi again, My wife and I will be moving in Oct of this year to Sax.
we are bringing our furniture with us and after talking to a few international mover we have come to find out that before our furniture are delivered we need to have a valid residentcy card. Can any one tell us if we can apply for one from Canada before we go or if we have to wait until we are in Spain to apply, how long does it take to get one.
I woould appreciate any information.

Pico

Posted: 04 February 2007 04:11 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Pico,

Do you have a valid visa or EU passport? You apply for your residency card after you’re already living here in Spain, but it isn’t necessary for anything anymore, as per EU law. A residency card does help you with some bureaucratic processes however.

Talk to them again, that makes no sense… what about an empadronamiento, would that work?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 February 2007 01:16 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-02-03

I am Canadian and my wife is British. Wew were told by the Spanish embassy here in Canada that I will have the same right as my wife when we land, but for our furniture we are told that we need to have a residency permit in order for us not to pay duties on our furniture…
Does that make sence…??? We will be living permently in Sax as I am retiring from the military.

Thanks for your help and thank you for the site…