Certified teacher from California
Posted: 24 June 2009 12:29 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-06-23

I am a certified teacher (grades k-6) from California with a masters degree. I have over 10 years of teaching experience.  I was wondering if it is a MUST to get a TEFL in order to teach in Spain.  I have no problem participating in the program if it will better my chances in obtaining a job.  But, does the fact that I am a teacher from an accrediated university in the states mean anything? 

Are there areas of Spain that are more in need of teachers?  What about getting jobs in the “public” school system…is that a possibility, or is it mostly throught the TEFL helping place you.  I have read so much about the pay being poor, how can teachers make ends meet?  It’s so different in the states as we have the option to be paid on a 12 month plan, having our checks divided up through the year. 

Any input would be great!
Thanks-
Hillary

Posted: 05 July 2009 03:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

to get a job here, an employer must apply for a residence and working permit for you. getting a job in the public school system would require you to have a european passport. try contacting private schools, but you may have stiff competition from the british and irish citizens.