Bank transfer from Spain to US
Posted: 06 July 2009 06:09 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

Is it impossible to transfer money from Spain to the US?

My Spanish bank needs a SWIFT or IBAN code (an EU/international standard) but my American bank only has an ABA number (an American standard). Trying to convince my Spanish bank that my American bank has no SWIFT code and trying to convince my American bank that they should have a SWIFT code on file somewhere has been both fruitless and frustrating. Both banks point to the other one as the problem and I am beside myself at the situation. 

I understand I could try to use something like Western Union, but I really don?t understand why an international bank transfer between Spain and the US should literally be impossible to do.

Has anyone actually successfully done a Spain to US bank transfer?

Posted: 06 July 2009 06:29 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

MMM… If you can wait until tomorrow I can ask my Uncle he works for Banco Santander…

let me know…

Posted: 06 July 2009 07:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

you need to go to the international side off you bank in the Usa , and ask for SWIFT or IBAN numbers

jurdy

Posted: 06 July 2009 11:27 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-07-04

Although we’re not in Spain yet, we have lived in several countries outside the US (and are living in one now) and have had no problem wiring money to several different banks in the US. But we did always have to have a SWIFT number. Unless you’re dealing with a credit union or very local city bank, I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t have a SWIFT number. You might try googling the name of your bank with the word SWIFT and see what comes up—that’s what I had to do years ago when the customer service person at Wells Fargo was insisting she’d never heard of such a number. Of course Wells Fargo had a SWIFT number, she had just never been asked for it before. It popped right up in a google search.

Posted: 07 July 2009 01:17 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Dreamer

After speaking with my Uncle just now by phone he too agrees that its a Swift Number that you require.

Swift account number of your Bank Account is for all International Banking….

As there is IBAN but this usally used in within EU.

Some how you need to bypass the person you spoke with and try and speak with an Account Manager or Branch Manager.

Regards

Mac.

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:11 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

Thanks MAC31 and OnTheRoadAgain.

OnTheRoadAgain, you’re right about the credit union. Now it’s time to change banks!

My bank is a credit union that only has offices in California and it is just not equipped for this sort of thing. It’s a shame because my whole family has had the same bank ever since I was a kid. And I’ve been in Spain for four years and haven’t had a problem before. Of course, I had never tried a Spain-US transfer…

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:55 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-07-04

Setting up a paypal account might be easier than opening a new bank account in California (what part are you from? we lived near Berkeley for 10 years). It’s pretty easy (and free) to send money between two paypal accounts. Set up one Paypal account and attach it to your US bank account. Then create another one (you might have to create a new email address since Paypal accounts are based on your email—check the paypal site for details) and attach it to your Spain bank account. Once you have the two Paypal accounts up and running, you simply need to use the Spain account to pay the US account. The Spain paypal account will take the money from your Spanish bank account and send it to your US paypal account. You can then transfer it to your attached US bank account. I have to admit, I haven’t done this between a non-US paypal account and a US paypal account, but the paypal website says it make international payments, so it should work.

Posted: 07 July 2009 07:00 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

Sorry PayPal is not a good option especially now there tightening there strings on Money Laundering etc.

I would suggest the Bank Transfer yes but PayPal NO!

PayPal is good for something?s but for Money Transfers no…

Example My auntie (in San Fran) Transferred $2000 to her Daughter who is living with my mum… PayPal held transfer for 14 days while they investigated to see if there was any wrong doing…

Mac

Posted: 07 July 2009 07:43 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-07-04

Mac may be right. I’ve done a bunch of Paypal transfers between accounts with no problems—money is transferred almost instantly. But I’ve only done it among US paypal accounts and have never done more than $700. New bank might be in your future after all.

Posted: 07 July 2009 08:51 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

paypal accounts that the company i work for now adding 6 % off charge on two it for works and waitting time “PayPal held transfer for 14 days” on sums of 1,000 euros now ,

jurdy

Posted: 22 August 2009 08:14 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-08-22

I move transfer money from Spain to the US quite often.

I have both a citi account in Spain and in the US as well.

One is able to transfer the money online, for free and the transfers happen right away.

You do need to open both bank accounts in Spain and the US separately, because it’s not really the same bank.

Posted: 24 August 2009 09:03 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-07-15

you could always look at my site
http://www.sendmoneyhome.org . We are a money transfer price comparison site and compare the market for your currency transfer requirements. Particularly for higher end transfers I can personally put you in touch with account managers at the currency partners we work with.
Feel free to email me : .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 29 September 2010 08:44 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-09-29

hi, you can find all US bank locations, addresses, telephone numbers and more details here. Check out the below link

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Finance/usa-banks

Posted: 08 October 2010 04:16 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2010-04-25
Paukenguy - 22 August 2009 08:14 PM

I move transfer money from Spain to the US quite often.

I have both a citi account in Spain and in the US as well.

One is able to transfer the money online, for free and the transfers happen right away.

You do need to open both bank accounts in Spain and the US separately, because it’s not really the same bank.

I do the same.  It is quite easy and cost free, it is the only reason I use citibank here.