Medical certificate for long term student visa
Posted: 09 July 2009 11:59 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-09

Hi all,

I am applying from Australia and after I gathered all the required documents the consulate said to me that some rules changed on July 1 and the medical certificate I got before for a visa application now isn’t valid.

The reason is that now it supposes to state that I do not have infectious diseases according to some 2005 list of diseases.
Previously it was enough just to state that I do not have infectious diseases.

Anyone knows what that list is, where I can obtain it and how to formulate the medical certificate now?

In consulate they say “doctor should know” but doctors do not know….

Thanks in advance

Posted: 24 May 2010 02:55 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-05-24

I am in a similar predicament currently, and though I am too late for the original poster, hopefully I can help others.

Basically, almost every country on the planet has agreed, through the World Health Organization (WHO) to various rules and procedures regarding treatment of health and infectious disease threats. You need to get an official doctors statement explicitly stating that you are healthy and within compliance with these rules. These two websites should give you the background you need:

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Health_Regulations
World Health Organization website: http://www.who.int/ihr/en/

I have not gone through this with the Spanish consulate yet, but I assume I only need a signed document explicitly stating that I am healthy according to the International Health Regulations 2005 as set forth by the WHO. I will update as I know more. I plan to contact the consulate in a few days about this.

EDIT: I don’t know how or where I found this, but I was jumping between the US department of State Travel website, the CDC website, and the WHO website, but it appears that the link below may lead to the form needed. I am still going to talk to the Spanish consulate to confirm, but I imagine that this is what they want. As I said, I’ll keep everyone updated.

http://www.who.int/ihr/travel/icvp/en/index.html

Posted: 09 June 2010 04:40 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

Hey, I’m going to study in Spain for a year and maybe even four years if it feels like the place for me. I am in the process for gathering the documents neccessary for a long stay student visa, and I have pretty much everything but the medical certificate, and my Consulate, the San Francisco one, just tells me that I need a letter from my doctor saying I’m fit for travel; however, the establishment my doctor works under keeps telling me they won’t do that for me, and that it’s not part of their protocol or something.  They also keep telling me the consulate should have a list of clinics that will take care of the medical certificate, but the consulate isn’t giving me that impression.  I live in Las Vegas btw. And I’m 18. This is kind of a mess for me.  Does anyone know where I can get this thing? and soon?