1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Help! I can get a landline but not ADSL, how can I get reliable internet usage?
Posted: 02 September 2009 08:53 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-03-19

Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp!

I really need the internet for my new business, but have been told by both Jazztel and Telefonica that they have no ADSL coverage in my area!

Although Telfonica will give me a landline….

How can I get a reliable internet connection?

Thanks all

Posted: 02 September 2009 09:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Where are you Emma?  Might be a wimax option ?

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 03 September 2009 12:21 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

Manilva….

Posted: 03 September 2009 03:05 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

hi, emma;
I find it hard to believe that Telefonica cannot offer ADSL in such a built up area as Manilva.
Did you try talking to them on tel no. 1004?
If you don’t speak Spanish its not a problem; they have some quite talented English speaking sales staff on that number.
1004 puts you onto an answering machine; at the first break in their announcements just say ‘English’; if this doesn’t work wait until a human answers and ask for an English speaking operator.
You will need to disclose your post code to them and perhaps your address.

If they really cant do it then iberbanda.es may be your next point of reference; it is Wi-Fi and expensive but if it is all you can get ...

Do not be tempted to use ‘telefonicainenglish’ you might be one of the lucky ones that manage to get satisfaction from them but it’s highly unlikely and you will have a hell of a time trying to get back their 115 euro admin fee if they fail…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 03 September 2009 10:56 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

Thanks fb,

My Spanish is ok, but as a safer bet (so nothing is lost in transalation) I also got my OH to call them and sure enough no coverage, we can get a phone line but no adsl!

I then rang Jazztel and was told the same thing!

I live in Marbella before and never had this kind of problem, so its pretty frustrating!

:gulp:

Posted: 05 September 2009 04:57 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28
emma-louise - 03 September 2009 10:56 PM

Thanks fb,

My Spanish is ok, but as a safer bet (so nothing is lost in transalation) I also got my OH to call them and sure enough no coverage, we can get a phone line but no adsl!

I then rang Jazztel and was told the same thing!

I live in Marbella before and never had this kind of problem, so its pretty frustrating!

:gulp:

I’m in a similar position - the apartment next door has ADSL (10mb) while it is not available in my place!

Posted: 07 September 2009 01:17 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18
emma-louise - 02 September 2009 08:53 PM

Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp!

I really need the internet for my new business, but have been told by both Jazztel and Telefonica that they have no ADSL coverage in my area!

Although Telfonica will give me a landline….

How can I get a reliable internet connection?

Thanks all

Hi emma-louise, if you PM me with your address I can check internally if there’s DSL or Iberbanda coverage.

Regards

Pieter

Posted: 13 October 2009 01:42 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hi Emma,

We use Conecta 4, i think they cover that end of the coast. They also have some good offers at the moment.

Good luck 😊

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 01 November 2009 02:07 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-06-13

Hi,

I am having a similar problem. I live in La Manga and Telefonica ADSL is unavailable. I’m using a Vodafone Huawei modem which is 40? a month. It’s meant to have a 7.2MB connection speed but never goes over 126 kbps which is a nightmare!

I work from home so I need a good connection. I know Vodafone have a 3GB download cap (and then the connection slows down even more) which is also a problem.

Anyone else in La Manga have any ideas? I don’t think ONO is available here either and I’m not sure what my options are. I know Movistar do similar modems but they are the same price and probably just as slow.

Victoria

Posted: 28 November 2009 06:07 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-11-22

Just to let you all know that I also use a Huawei Vodafone modem.  It usually works OK - about 300 kbps which is adequate for my needs.  Right now it is appalling - - slow and continually dropping the connection.  It’s been OK for 18 months and has been really bad for about two weeks.  My initial 18 month contract has now come to an end so I will probably change.  I have tried Iberbanda before and it was dismal.  Emma-Louise you would be on the same ground station as me - I am in Jimena de la Frontera.  The station is on top of Sierra Bermeja.  Admittedly I have not used it for 18 months - it might be better now.  Remember that Iberbanda is owned by Telefonica.  In Jimena we are not exactly blessed with choice - It’s Telefonica, Iberbanda or Mobile technology or it was last time I looked.  I’ll check further and let you know what I find.  Meanwhile if you have found a solution please let me know what it is!  I think I’m heading for Telefonica and I want to avoid that if possible.  Cheers.

Posted: 28 November 2009 06:19 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-13

I’m still using the Huawei modem. I’m getting about the same speed as you. Here the only option is a Movistar modem or this Vodafone one. They are both about 40 euros a month.

After you have used 3 GB the speed drops right down. It’s like with some satellite connections - the more you use the slower it runs because of their “fair use policy” - these things aren’t designed for heavy use, mainly for people who occasionally use the internet on their laptops or phones. It’s as annoying as hell that Telefonica won’t do ADSL to our complex. Some people in the complex have ADSL but Telefonica won’t install any more!

Posted: 28 November 2009 07:20 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-11-22

Hi Victel

Although I use the internet a lot I don’t download much so I’ve never reached my 3GB limit.  As I said - it’s been OK up to now - not fast but adequate.  It’s only the last two weeks which have been bad - almost unusable. 

Have you noticed a reduction in service/reliability lately?  It might be local to here or I suppose it could just be my account - as I mentioned my contract has just come to an end.

I have tried their English support number.  They sound like they’re going to be helpful but then nothing happens.  BTW the sound quality on the support line is dreadful - I they must be using VOIP - it’s really difficult to understand them.

Cheers

Posted: 28 November 2009 07:26 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-13

I’m in La Manga (Murcia) and it’s weird but mine seems to be slightly better the past two weeks. At the start of the month before it hits the 3GB limit it varies between 24 kbps and 2 MB and then it tends to go down to around 264 kbps. Lately it’s been OK (apart from this morning but I guess Saturday morning is peak time for other users so they slow it down too). I’m a freelance writer so I have to watch videos/view photos/look at lots of websites which is why I reach the 3GB after a couple of days!

I assume a lot of people complain about the service. How many bars do you have on your control panel? I always have 4 red bars. Do you have a turquoise light on your modem? That means it’s connected to the (supposedly) fastest 3G network. Sorry, you might already know all that. I had a 3 GB ADSL connection in Gran Canaria and I thought that was slow. Now I really miss it!!! (The ADSL I mean, there’s nothing I miss about Gran Canaria).

Hope you sort something out with yours. Mine seems to have good days and bad days. Let me know if you discover anything new or find a better system and I’ll do the same.

Good luck with it!

Victoria

Posted: 03 December 2009 02:22 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11
Victel - 28 November 2009 07:26 PM

I’m in La Manga (Murcia) and it’s weird but mine seems to be slightly better the past two weeks. At the start of the month before it hits the 3GB limit it varies between 24 kbps and 2 MB and then it tends to go down to around 264 kbps. Lately it’s been OK (apart from this morning but I guess Saturday morning is peak time for other users so they slow it down too). I’m a freelance writer so I have to watch videos/view photos/look at lots of websites which is why I reach the 3GB after a couple of days!

I assume a lot of people complain about the service. How many bars do you have on your control panel? I always have 4 red bars. Do you have a turquoise light on your modem? That means it’s connected to the (supposedly) fastest 3G network. Sorry, you might already know all that. I had a 3 GB ADSL connection in Gran Canaria and I thought that was slow. Now I really miss it!!! (The ADSL I mean, there’s nothing I miss about Gran Canaria).

Hope you sort something out with yours. Mine seems to have good days and bad days. Let me know if you discover anything new or find a better system and I’ll do the same.

Good luck with it!

Victoria

I dont wish to advertise, but there is the option of Satellite Internet, if you contact me by PM I will send you info, 24/7 always on connection, high reliability up to 10Gb per month download, no restriction on area coverage, only requirement is good line of sight to the satellite.

Mike
Mike

Signature 

Mike

Posted: 07 December 2009 05:14 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-07

If they give you a landline, but no ADSL you are too far away from the exchange called a DSLAM, they would need to setup one just for you which is expensive and probably not worth it since one of those things usually serves many residents….maybe satellite is an option, if the 3G/HSDPA is too slow..
but Satellite could do 24mbit down, but might exepnsive, plus you need an upload line somehow.

Posted: 07 December 2009 05:23 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-13

One of my neighbours in this apartment block has ADSL… but they refuse to give me an ADSL connection! A satellite connection sounds expensive, I’ve had a couple quotes.

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3