Looking to move by the end of 2007
Posted: 25 February 2007 02:13 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi can anyone tell me the best areas to look into for a family wanting to move to southern Spain. Not necessarily the tourist areas as i want the children to learn the culture and the language. somewhere there is the opportunity’s to open a guest house or get a job. I am currently working in the Contact centre industry as an Inbound Customer Service Advisor. I would need to be near schools for Children ranging from 5 to 17 years as i don’t drive. Near Local transport would be a bonus.
I have been looking into Sevilla, Murcia and Andalucia but i have read that jobs are not to good in these areas is this true. Has anyone located to these areas that can offer some more advise.
My sister is wanting to move with us and is a Primary school teacher. she is currently doing the TEFL course to help her gain employment in this area is there any opportunities in southern Spain for English teachers.
We don’t speak Spanish. Though i have been learning very basic words and my 15 year old can speak quite well as she is doing GCSE at school.
Is it better to rent or buy.
Is there any problem areas that i need to be aware of.
Do you really have to have school reports translated and all Injections for children up to date.
I would appreciate any advise.
Thank-you Caz

Posted: 25 February 2007 08:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Caz, The advice is always the same - come and have a look and see what suits you. Do research and get facts - dont rely on heresay and opinion. All areas have their good and bad points. Jobs are best found with contacts and getting a local network. Schools are generally no problem and the kids will pick up the language and culture if they mix with the Spanish. Yes they need up todate injections - usual ones ie chicken pox etc, and health certificates. There is always scholl buses to get them there. Transport in rural areas is a bit hit and miss. Without the language you may need to focus on areas where there are more British to make a living. Good luck.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 March 2007 02:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-09-04

Hi There,

I would agree with what Rob has already said in many ways.

I would also like to add that the Costa de la Luz is probably one of the best places for you if you would like to stay in typical Spain rather than amongst waves of ex pats (nothing wrong with that if thats what you want).

Here you will find that, unless you integrate with the local community you wont get on so it pushes you to do so.

If you would like more info on the places here and the types of people moving over etc, please feel free to e-mail me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and i can point you in the direction of websites that will give you an abundance of information to help you decide if its the place for you to visit.

Best Wishes

Posted: 12 March 2007 12:39 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Caz,

As has already been stated, come and look, many hours of the internet will not give you experience of looking, I know I did it in June 2006, bit the bullett and went out, fortunately, I found a good local agent who did some ground work for me and has been wonderful and we completed in September 2006, so under 12 weeks from start to finish.

If you move just inland a few miles, then you can find the happy medium of an Spanish/English mix. The Spanish are very friendly and they do help if they can, but it is a little easier if you attemp to speak the language.

If you want Rob’s contact details, contact me on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I can dig them out for you.

Good luck

Dave

Signature 

http://www.damattproperty.com
http://www.rentproperty-spain.com

Posted: 24 March 2007 09:59 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-02-28

Hi, we bought in the Jaen province last year and while browsing the internet saw several ads for English teachers, one in the town I bought my house in. Most large towns and villages have primary and secondary schools and English is being taught more and more. Check the ads on the internet for jobs.
I would advise you to rent first, which will enable you to check the areas you are interested in. Learning some Spanish will help greatly.