Here we go again - off to Spain
Posted: 11 October 2009 07:51 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-07-20

Well here we are again - on about a move to Spain. But this time its really going to happen and in less than 6 weeks.

To cut a long story short I have left my City job and have until 20th November to move out of my rented house.

Oh dear. The move to Spain was always ?next year? with plenty of time to sort things out.

But where to go?

Went to Nerja and surrounding area last year and didn?t feel it was for me. Then went to Alhama de Granada (also visited Granada city)  in June this year. Loved it there but don?t think I could live there either. Well I could, but I think it would be a tough introduction to life in a new country.

I know its not a good time to move anywhere really but I am now unemployed and about to be homeless too so can?t think of a better time to try it. The alternative is to find another job and house here in the UK and carry on but that?s not what I want to do.

Have enough cash to survive at least a couple of years so won?t be desperate for work but knowing me I?ll be looking for something. Will be renting and not buying.

We?ve had discussions on here before about south (as in Malaga) verses east (as in Alicante) and I?m no further down the road as to which is the best option.  The north/north east sounds nice but have never been up there so can?t compare.

I?m not retiring and don?t really want to live in a Brit enclave but access to tourist areas may be beneficial as I am looking at possible activities such as playing music in bars and selling paintings as a source of beer money.

Strangely enough, I can?t think further than the logistics of getting there at the moment. I?ll worry about the next 5 years after that.

I know people are coming back to the UK from Spain in their droves but maybe their situations are not like mine. If I?ve not found any means of income, not learnt the language and not managed to integrate within 2 years then maybe I?ll be looking to come back too. However, coming back to the UK in 2 years time will be like moving to Spain right now.

Any suggestions welcome coz right now my head is exploding !

Note: this post also appears under “First Port of Call - Nerja”

Posted: 11 October 2009 11:51 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Why Spain then.

If you have no ties to the country, can`t speak the language and have no options that make Spain the sensible choice why limit yourselve.

If I had enough cash to last a few years and no children to worry about I`d look into moving around the EU finding casual work to help suppliment the savings.

Guess it the gypsie in me.

Anyway good luck.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 12 October 2009 02:43 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-07-20

Hi Santi, I was sort of hoping for a response from you !  You are always able to view both sides of the coin and offer honest views on most things.

And yes, you are right. Why choose Spain ?  Why not travel the world ?

I have pals in Brazil where I spent a superb couple of weeks a few years ago. Given the choice, that is where I would go.  Also have friends in South Africa where I was last year and I could go there too.  Also I love the Greek Islands and was in Crete with my daughters last month. Eventually, I may end up in one of these places when I fully retire. I have several properties in Eastern Europe that will pay for a nice house somewhere in about 8 years time and provide me with a pension.

In the meantime, however, I want to settle somewhere where I can indulge myself in my hobbies and relax a bit in a place with a slower pace of life and outdoor lifestyle before its too late. I have worked all of my life, mainly in a City job in London with all the pressures that comes with and a lifetime of commuting.  Its ME time now.

I think my position is a little different in that I’m not moving to Spain in desperate need of a job or with family etc. and can afford to give it a go.

Spain offers the lifestyle and climate I’m looking for, it is certainly cheaper to live there than here although I accept, not as cheap as it used to be and its easy and cheap to get back to the UK to visit family. That is important as my folks are still around and one of the reasons Brazil is a no-no right now.

I could stay here. Could probably get another City job and simply carry on but I ask myself why am I doing this if its only for me.

This may sound strange but many a time over the years while sitting at my desk in the office, worrying about the mortgage on my huge detached house in the home counties of England and feeling trapped in a job I have lost interest in, I’ve fantasised about living a simple life in a cave somwehere.

That fantasy is about to come true and even you, Santi, have to concede that that would be good for the soul if nothing else.

Besides, I’m too old to go galavanting around Europe doing casual jobs - but not yet too old to enjoy some freedom !

All the best.

Posted: 12 October 2009 03:26 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I always felt the draw of a small Pacific Island doin nothing but fishing and relaxing.

But then there are earth quakes and Tsunami`s to consider.

Travel the world is a bit of a drain on the nerves, but Europe in a mobile home, great, for me anyway, in my head.

If your goin to resign yoursel to Spain, there are worse places, then try the north coast, I know I`ve said it before.

But it is a great place oftern over looked, but culturally and economically far better than the south, marginally better the East, until you add the Gastronomy, then it hurdle’s way ahead.

The main cities are smaller than London, kinda obvious, but offer as many benefits without the traffic that the east and Madrid gets.

Bilbao is only 1 hr by plane from Stanstead, I`ve just paid ?92.00 for 2 adult tickets for the end of October 09 (only a month before flight), adult return in 4 months time around ?30.00, so cheap as chips, no tourist prices.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”