The Next EU President
Posted: 19 November 2009 02:15 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

So… who’s going to be the next EU President? Check out the Huffington Post’s list of contenders, including odds and now taking your vote to see who you think take the Presidency.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/18/the-eu-presidency—-conte_n_361307.html

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 November 2009 02:16 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

My bet: Mr. Blair or Vaira Vike-Freiberga

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 November 2009 03:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2009-05-28

I think for most Europeans the outcome will be meaningless: These guys are voting for themselves. There was more electoral accountability in Hitler’s Germany. I like the graffiti I once saw on a wall: ‘Don’t vote: It only encourages them.’

Signature 

Unskilled Story Writers Wanted
http://www.michaelwalsh.es/

Posted: 19 November 2009 04:00 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Ohh, so cynical. So you have no opinion?

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2009 04:11 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-28

Oh, I have an opinion   ..  I am far too opinionated for most people’s liking. The point I make is; my opinion in this matter doesn’t carry any weight whatsoever. How many Europeans are there? How many will get the chance to exercise their opinion on the matter of the President of the EU? None. They will soon be told who their dictator is and their lives will go on as usual. Yes, I suppose I am cynical about gerrymandering. That is a healthy opinion. The kind that hopefully will some day bring real change; democracy rather than dumbocracy.  :o)

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2009 04:34 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Well there’s a difference between cynicism and healthy, informed skepticism about our “democracies” in which we live. There’s something to be said for the lack of real progress made as a pointer towards the inability for these “dictators” to really behave like dictators however. In the mean time, which dictator would you choose? 😊

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2009 05:08 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-28

None of them; I am just disillusioned. I know the Daily Mail is anti-EU but this sort of thing doesn’t display that prejudice, it reinforces it. I think it is all quite an undemocratic process so to put forward an opinion gives it an undeserved legitimacy.

:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1228994/EU-president-race-descends-chaos-leaders-struggle-agree-candidate.html

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2009 05:21 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Never seen that media source before but its prejudice and bias is pretty overt to a newbie. “Chaos?” Difficult, yes, but chaos (which they re-use more than 4 times throughout the article without citing any source for that word) is a bit of an exaggeration. The schlok lining the right side is clearly high-brow journalism at its best as well. 😊

Anyway, I didn’t realize Blair was so disliked by Merkel but I can understand why some leaders would be put off by his high profile. A lowly, unoffensive Belgian is surely a better candidate to lead the world’s best example of a peaceful union of disparate cultures and economies through these tough times.

Signature