Need Advice, Please about moving to Spain
Posted: 04 March 2007 07:38 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-03-03

Hi to everyone!

I am a new person who joined about a week or so ago. I have been looking in the posts and found the info great but wanted to introduce myself and ask some opinions about moving to Spain. I am a 32 year old stay at home mom with a 15 month old and my husband is an engineer. We live in California. My husband is from Ireland and I am from the East coast of the USA. I am an EU citizen as well as our daughter. My husband moved to the US in 2000 and has disliked america since getting here. He misses Europe a great deal and wants to get back and I think that I am ready as well but feel as if something is holding me back. We have had 3 times were we could have moved back but something always came in the way. My husband wants to try mainland Europe and is more eager than me b/c I really don’t know much about Europe and where it would be best to raise a family. I am really concerned about the language barrier. Whether the people are nice is something I think about but not worried about b/c living in California has to be one of the worse states for people being rude, snobby, etc.

We are thinking of three countriesbesides Spain as well. They are Switzerland, Netherlands and Germany. I have been researching alot in the past few weeks trying to get a handle on what each country has to offer and I must say Germany to me seems to be the best from what I have read and with whom I spoke with but as you know that info isn’t always the most reliable since we have to experience it for ourselves. It is a huge committment for u to make that final step. No place is perfect but… We have moved quite a bit in the last few years and I just want to settle down. For me, I plan to stay at home for a while with my little one and get to know the country and language so working for me right out of the gate isn’t a neccessity or desire. I will go back to work but I want to learn the language and customs of the country.

How have you found moving to Spain? What thoughts ran thru your heads before making that final step? Thoughts always go thru my head, like will coming back to the US ever be an option, etc. I know visiting and living in a country are two different things and just want to be prepared as much as possible.

What obstacles did you find the hardest and easiest? Thanks for reading and glad to be part of the board.

Mossy

Posted: 05 March 2007 10:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2006-02-09

Just a couple notes. I don’t want to influence you too much… 😉

- TONS and TONS of Germans move to Spain every year. They keep more to themselves, seemingly, but many areas of the Costas and the Balearic Islands are about 50%-90% German now… if their country was so great then why are they all moving down here?

- As a stay at home Mom I think you need to look more closely at that culture, which is alive and thriving here in Spain (reasons for which needn’t be an issue).

- Germany is, in many ways, like a very very efficient and beer-loving America. There are many things I love about Germany but would never live there myself and neither would any of my German friends move back. Spain is just more interesting, more fun, more relaxed and holds more opportunities for people like (dare I say) us.

Signature 

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Facebook for updates, advice, news, and highlights.

Posted: 06 March 2007 01:59 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-03-03
The Editor - 05 March 2007 10:21 PM

Just a couple notes. I don’t want to influence you too much… 😉

Don’t Worry, you didn’t influence me that much. *WINK*

- TONS and TONS of Germans move to Spain every year. They keep more to themselves, seemingly, but many areas of the Costas and the Balearic Islands are about 50%-90% German now… if their country was so great then why are they all moving down here?

I hear many mixed thngs bout Germany and Germans.  I guess I just need to visit.  THe most important of our decision is the best place to raise my little one.  She is 17 months old today.  Did you read the article done by the UN that gives the countries top for being the best to children?  I know Spain is in the top 10.  Is crime rapid in some spots of Spain?  there?  Isn’t there a radical group in Northern Spain?

- As a stay at home Mom I think you need to look more closely at that culture, which is alive and thriving here in Spain (reasons for which needn’t be an issue).

Being a stay at home mom is important but eventually I would like to get back to work.  Is that frown upon in Spain? 

- Germany is, in many ways, like a very very efficient and beer-loving America. There are many things I love about Germany but would never live there myself and neither would any of my German friends move back. Spain is just more interesting, more fun, more relaxed and holds more opportunities for people like (dare I say) us.

What is the most common reason(s) your german friends wouldn’t go back and what is that Spain offers that they love so much?  BTW, where are you from?

Thanks,
Mossy

PS.  Please don’t think my questions are dumb.  I really don’t know much about Spain and that is the reason for me asking.  I am just now researching Spain and its culture