Health Cover during pregnancy
Posted: 04 January 2010 05:42 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-03

Hi
I moved to Jerez last year with my partner and three year old son.
We took out private health insurance in October and in November I discovered I was pregnant. Unfortunately our policy does not cover pregnancy until it has been running for ten months.
I wondered if anyone has been in a similar position or could advise on the following:
* Does anyone know of any private policies available that cover pregnancy immediately?
* The rough cost of having a baby privately in Spain with no insurance?
* If it is possible to get cover by paying into the Spanish social security system if you are already pregnant?

Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 04 January 2010 05:54 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi

Private health care can range from ?1500 up to ?15000 if you pay out of your own pocket

My Cousin who is in Cadiz payed ?2400 for C Section for private.

?15000k and up is incase the newborn (God Forbid) needs Extra Care.

So in other words it ranges… you always get free consultancy if you enquire before going ahead with private so I would consider chosing your hospital or word by mouth and ask for a consultancy appointment… To get a price.

Mac

Posted: 05 January 2010 12:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Can you go to the local clinic with your empadronamiento and get a health card? That’ll get you into the system immediately (though there’s sometimes a delay getting the card, you may be able to just use your proof of application).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 01 February 2010 04:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-02-12

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!  Are neither you nor your partner working here in Spain?  If one of you works, you will be able to be treated for free in the public hospital.  If your partner works and you don?t (or vice versa) you can both be put on the same health card and will both be treated for free.  I?m not too sure what happens in case of not working or never having worked.  I don?t know if they let you pay into the public system.  But I was speaking to my hubby last night (he?s Spanish) and one suggestion he gave was worst case scenario, either you or your partner register as self employed (autonomo) and pay the seguridad social each month, which would probably cost you about 250 euros per month.  However, I?m not sure you would have to do that throughout the whole pregnancy, as just doing it for a few months may get you into the public health system.  As you can tell, I?m no expert!!  But just thought I?d give you a few suggestions which you could maybe follow up.  I really hope you get it sorted and get the treatment you need during your pregnancy.  Good luck!!!

Posted: 07 March 2010 04:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-07

Hi, congrats!!  I am in the same situation; just found out I’m pregnant, no job, but am officially registered here and was still working on getting insurance.  Did the autonomo registration work to get coverage, even though you are already pregnant?  Please let me know what helped for you!!

Posted: 08 March 2010 12:19 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-09-03

When my wife was blessed with child for the first time, we got into the social security system during her pregnancy by me going self-employed autonomo.  By the time it came to going to the hospital I had my card and we were covered.  No question of being excluded because her pregnancy began prior to enrolling in the system.  I have been quoted a figure of 4000? for going private with a birth but can’t confirm that.  Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Signature 

Advoco Accountancy & Law Spanish Income Tax Rates, Allowances and Declaration Thresholds 2010