Cost of living
Posted: 13 January 2010 11:33 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-13

I wonder if anybody can help, please. I am considering relocation to BCN from the Czech Rep (specific job opportunity). Can sb give me a hint about what kind of living standard should I expect from a gross salary of 2200 EUR? Currently I earn some 60% more than the avg salary in my country and I realise this won’t be the same, but HOW MUCH worse? Will such a pay allow me at least to rent a flat on me own (somewhere close to blue and yellow line) and still LIVE rather than just survive? All comments would be highly appreciated.

Posted: 14 January 2010 07:26 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Is that before or after taxes?

2200 is pretty good though. Should be able to get a nice one bedroom, travel lots, shop, etc.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 14 January 2010 01:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-01-13

The Expatriator: thanks a lot for your reply. the 2200 is before taxes, which I believe equals 1750 take-home money. having seen a few ads on the net I guess take another 800 off for the bedroom (do these prices include utilities and internet anyway?), 50 travelcard, that leaves 30 for a day. i have never lived in an Eurozone country, converted to my currency that would be nice, but are you sure that is enough over there? i ain’t no party every night type, but well i do expect barcelona to be a little more lively than home. also can you pls tell me what do i pay for stuff like pizza / kebab, a pint, drinks, cinema ticket, groceries, eating out?

Posted: 20 January 2010 05:17 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-01-09

hello sir,

Tokyo has knocked Moscow off the top spot to become the world?s most expensive city for expatriates, according to the latest Cost of Living Survey from Mercer. Osaka is in second position, up nine places since last year, whereas Moscow is now in third place. Geneva climbs four places to fourth position and Hong Kong moves up one to reach fifth. Johannesburg has replaced Asunci?n in Paraguay as the least expensive city in the ranking.

In Mercer?s survey, New York is used as the base city for the index and scores 100 points, all cities are compared against New York and currency movements are measured against the US dollar. Tokyo scores 143.7 points and is nearly three times as costly as Johannesburg with an index score of 49.6.

The survey covers 143 cities across six continents and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. It is the world?s most comprehensive cost of living survey and is used to help multinational companies and governments determine compensation allowance for their expatriate employees.

Signature 

fuel pump

Posted: 24 January 2010 06:25 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

If you are interested in Cost of Living comparisons:

COSTS OF LIVING SITES

http://www.xpatulator.com/index.cfm

http://expatriatepay.blogspot.com/

Signature