Taking my car from UK to Spain, insurance?
Posted: 09 March 2010 03:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-03-09

Hi there,

I’m moving to Spain to live with my boyfriend but I want to take my car with me.
I’m not sure if the insurance for being a right hand drive will be very expensive and it may not be worth it.
Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 09 March 2010 03:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m not sure about the insurance but if you are coming to live here you will need to transfer your car on to Spanish plates. There are various costs for things such as converting headlights, reversing lamps etc as well as paperwork. It may well be cheaper to sell your car and buy a Spanish one when you get here.

Posted: 09 March 2010 06:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2010-03-09

If you bring your car and drive it in Spain for more than half a year or longer periods and the police keep track of you they might take the car of you, (sounds alarming) but true, you are obligated by the Spanish government to change your number plates to Spanish ones if you are living in Spain for more than half a year, otherwise you have to take it back to UK for 6 months and come back, your probably thinking… “I’ll just tell the police that I’m on holidays…” OK, you might not get caught but if they have seen your car around they will stop you and take the car of you or if you are lucky a warning, I know 6 people in the Costa Blanca that this has happened, (They got their car back after paying a fine).

I know what I’m talking about because my family is dedicated to numberplate change in Spain.

For your first 6 months in Spain, no problem, and to get Spanish insurance just go and get a voluntary ITV (Spanish equivalent of MOT “Can be done by any Spanish auto repairs garage”) and go with the page to an insurance broker.

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 09 March 2010 06:11 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-09

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Olidenia -  I’m planning to change the plate number after 6 months of being there since I’m hoping to stay for many years.
I am just worried that the insurers may charge me lots of money just for being a right hand drive.
Any idea how much the change of plate number costs?

Many thanks! : )

Posted: 09 March 2010 06:23 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2010-03-09

If you still have English insurance and its still valid for say 4 or 5 months, just get the green European insurance card from your British insurance broker (I think it sould be at no extra cost) and by law you will be fine for 6 months max if you are covered for 6 months or more, once in Spain find someone that can change your number plates, usual cost 900?, but it does vary, an important thing is that there is a way you can scrap import tax, by doing a “baja consular” this means you go to the British consulate in your area and tell them you want to live in Spain, you will get a document that you have to pay for (of course “like everything in Spain”), and the Spanish government will let you bring 1 car as personal goods tax free, the car has to be in your name 6 months prior in the UK.

Places like http://www.byrnecars.com can do it all for you, but also many others in your area.

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 09 March 2010 07:32 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-09

Ugh! I bought it last month!
Oh well!
Thanks for your help Olidenia.

Posted: 09 March 2010 08:57 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Check your UK insurance, they tend only to cover you as a visitor to a EU country (usually 90 days), once your registered as a resident or you’ve been away more than 90 days, your insurance can be invalid, as mos,t if not all UK insurance policies cover UK residents only.

Personally its not worth the hassle, your better off financially selling it in the UK and buying a cheap Spanish car.

Check out these for some ideas of price.

http://www.segundamano.es/

Most second hand cars are bought through free ads etc, not many garages on the standard of the UK offering decent second hand cars.

Your UK car will bring too much attention from the authorites and will be worthless in Spain.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 09 March 2010 09:10 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-09

Thanks very much Santi!!!!!