Deceased Mother was born Spanish Citizen - can I apply for Citizenship?
Posted: 12 March 2010 11:01 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-12

My deceased mother was Spanish by birth but married my Canadian Father in Spain in 1968 in a civil ceremony.  I have heard that Spanish law before 1974 meant that marriage to a non-Spaniard meant my mother lost her Spanish Citizenship.  She eventually became a Canadian Citizen but never renounced her Spanish citizenship. 
I was born in the Netherlands in 1973 but am a Canadian citizen.  I’m wondering if I can apply for Spanish citizenship? 

Documents I have include an apostille copy of my Mother’s birth certificate, my Mother & Father’s Libro De Familia, her Spanish passports and of course my own birth certificate.

Any response would be appreciated!

Posted: 12 March 2010 03:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-11-23
gnrd - 12 March 2010 11:01 AM

My deceased mother was Spanish by birth but married my Canadian Father in Spain in 1968 in a civil ceremony.  I have heard that Spanish law before 1974 meant that marriage to a non-Spaniard meant my mother lost her Spanish Citizenship.  She eventually became a Canadian Citizen but never renounced her Spanish citizenship. 
I was born in the Netherlands in 1973 but am a Canadian citizen.  I’m wondering if I can apply for Spanish citizenship? 

Documents I have include an apostille copy of my Mother’s birth certificate, my Mother & Father’s Libro De Familia, her Spanish passports and of course my own birth certificate.

Any response would be appreciated!

Yes, you can apply for Spanish citizenship. My advice is to contact the Spanish Consulate where you will get all the necessary information with regards to the process, requirements, etc.