Barcelona, big dog friendly???
Posted: 17 March 2010 09:44 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-06

Hi, we are moving to Barcelona from Brooklyn NY in August and are bringing the entire family, which includes 2 60lb dogs…as a city in general, is it dog friendly?  Does anyone have any experience moving with their dogs?  We will be flying them, which is terrifying, but for us, the only option thus far, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.!  THanks, Kirsten

Posted: 18 March 2010 09:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi Kirsten…

Really cant speak for Barcelona because they do tend to be a law unto themselves, but generally speaking, from my experience, big dogs in Spain are looked upon with a degree of suspicion; ie., big=unfriendly. Spanish pet dogs generally tend to be on the small size probably because of apartment living in the cities. We have a couple of adoptees of this type, both ‘abandonados’

We also have two big dogs, a male Saluki and an English Greyhound. We live in a very rural farming community not far from Granada and we have to be extremely careful when letting them off leash for free running exercise. They are both extremely quick and act as a two dog pack and any other wildlife such as sheep and goats are definitely at risk. Fortunately they do fall just short of the size definition of potentially dangerous.

There are a couple of websites I’d like to direct you to;

One contains details of what are considered to be Dangerous or Potentially Dangerous Dogs;

http://madrid.angloinfo.com/countries/spain/animals.asp Note the section on Large dogs.

The other contains details of the Actual Importation of Dogs into Spain;

http://www.mapausa.org/indexeng.htm

Assuming your dogs meet the demands I’m sure that they will have a great time over here.

Be the exception to the rule however, clean up after them; dog muck in the cities is a real problem. Any poop-scoop laws which may exist are not generally followed.

I would also recommend that you also have a hefty 3rd party or Public Liability Insurance Policy (Min cover 120,000 Euros) (where we live in Andalucia the min amount is actually 175,000 Euros.)

Pet Health Insurance is available over here and recommended; whilst Vet’s bills are generally much lower here than in the USA and the UK, almost certainly you will need to see a Vet sooner or later.

Hope this helps a little.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 20 March 2010 12:02 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2010-03-09

You shouldn’t have a problem if the animals have all the vaccines and passport.

I found this on a spanish website and I have translated it:
The pet travel are governed by community or national health standards that ensure their health and that of individuals.

It is important to verify that the animal meets all the requirements listed in the instructions, because their failure would lead to immobilization of the pets in quarantine facilities or dispatched to the country of origin.

? Animals will come accompanied by their owners or representatives
? Animals will come identified
? The accompanying health certificate must include a translation in Spanish.

original post: http://www.mapa.es/es/ganaderia/pags/animales_compania/animales_compania.htm

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 15 June 2010 02:12 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-06-15

Hi,
I just registered on this forum, very helpful!

Me, my husband and dog are relocating from Ireland (but we are Swedish) to Barcelona. We have a dog that is quite big, she is a mix of Great Dane and something else that is big 😊
I am looking for any tips on areas to live, parks that are good for dogs, any areas outside Barcelona that are good for long walk and hikes as we are kind of out doorsy. Any tips are appreciated.

Also interested in meeting expats with dogs!

Reading up on the dangerous dogs links, and I see that it’s quite the same as the dangerous dogs act from Ireland.

Posted: 24 June 2010 04:56 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-06-17

Hey Kirsten!

I was told there are not too many parks and green places in Barcelona and that there is a lot of traffic as well. But if you managed to live in a city like NYC with your dog, don’t worry… If you can make it there, you’ll make it anywhere it’s up to you… 😉 Good luck! I imagine that moving to the other side of the Atlantic with the entire family must be quite challenging.

Posted: 12 July 2010 07:41 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-12

let me know how you make out!  i’m moving to barcelona this fall with my 68lb male boxer.  this is fast becoming the most stressful part of the PRE-move.