Flash car + guardia civil, be warned
Posted: 23 March 2010 07:09 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-10-06

I’m writing for my own benefit, call it a type of therapy and as a warning to anyone who is interested, if you feel like commenting negatively please don’t bother or go forth and multiply, sorry i’m not in the mood.

Anyway, I’m a middle aged bloke that owns a convertible sports car, enjoy I driving it, and I do drive it, however I’m not a boy racer, I’ve got my advance driving license. (I do get stopped frequently by the guardia civil and local police, it looks like a flash car, and draws lots of attention, but I have nothing to hide, and I’m happy to talk to them about, they ask all sorts of questions sometimes.)

Some weekends I met up with other sports car drivers and we go for a drive in the country side. My mate is boarding on the nutter side, so I let him get on with and I go along at my own pace, he has got a small rear no. plate and a loud exhaust, I do not.

Just after xmas, we go out for a ride, take photos, this day my mate has taken the roof off this car, something he does not normally do as it is bolted on, so he driving normally, or sensibly has he puts it. On the way home we drive through a village with a guardia civil station, this day I think, I saw a local shout and wave his hands in the air as my mate drives passed, now you think, we / he is driving like a prat, no, this village has speed bumps every 100m and the road is cobbled, so driving fast is out of the question.

So a few days ago I get a letter from the guardia civil saying that I was driving crazily, too fast (does not mention speed limit or the speed that i was doing), crossing continuous lines, on this day and a 450 euro fine and six points, and the place where I did this is in the middle of nowhere, but a few km passed this town. We did not see any guardia civil that day, did not get stopped, nothing. (there is no where to park an under cover car)

I have been to traffico, they do not have any evidence, no photos, video, witnesses, nothing! So it my word against the word of a guardia civil officer.

I freely admit that if I was doing something wrong I would admit to it, I really enjoy driving, and would not want to jeopardise it, words fail me, that some grump old local, is jealous of a flashy looking car,  and / or, a loud exhaust so writes down the next similar looking car and then gives it to a mate at the guardia civil.

So I guess I will pay the fine and get over it!

Signature 

NRG Photography, provides wedding, creative and portrait photography in Andaluc?a, Spain. All photos are for sale and commission work is undertaken. http://www.nrgphoto.eu

Posted: 23 March 2010 10:06 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I’m no expert and I could be completely wrong, but my OH best friend is a Basque Ertzaintza who advised me that in Spain the Guardia/Policia Local have to stop you and give you the penalty if no recording device is present.

That explains why there is so many Police check points and most radar cars operate with a patrol further down the road.

The British system of photos is only just creepin into the system.

I would seek some advice.

In Marbella most Police stop you just to get a quick ride and are happy to enjoy the fun.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”