Advice required from you wise old owls !!
Posted: 30 March 2010 07:41 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-30

Hello all,
I am new to this website so I hope you will be gentle with me ?
I am a UK expat living in La Linea, opposite Gibraltar. I am in the process of trying to start a small cafe ( a profession of which I have no experience ! ) I have sourced a property to rent and am looking around for secondhand catering equipment such as a cooker,
fridges, hotplates, cutlery, crockery and tables and chairs ! does anyone know where i could obtain said items, I would prefer used but would consider new. plus does anyone know of a good catering food supplier ?
Also, I understand I would have to obtain a catering certificate, where would I have to go to take a catering course and how much would it cost ?

Please help !

Posted: 30 March 2010 09:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

If you need to ask those questions then I can save you a lot of money and stress.

Forget it and look for a business that a) You understand b)You have experience

Having run a business for many yrs on and off it really anoys me that people seem to believe all they have to do is turn up on the net and ask a few questions, rent a place and bob’s your uncle your the next Mr Branson and your 8 star lifestyle is waiting for you.

Sound harsh, I’m sure ans yes I don’t no you or your life.

But I have worked with many many many Expats in Spain and many more businesses in the UK, so I can tell more or less a possible and I stress possible financial disaster waiting too happen.

If you google business for sale or speak to anybody involved in the catering industry you’ll notice and be told that the industry to suffer more than others is the hospitality and catering industry, it could be because its so easy to get into and so difficult to run successfully.

The amount of businesses in Spain for sale or lease on one web site I looked at last week was hundreds and that is the ones still in business.

Anyway good luck on the search and the business.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 30 March 2010 09:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-30

Wow !!
Dont hold back will you !

I have put a lot of thought into this and found a site that I consider to offer the most potential for success.
I am not naive enough to think that this venture will run problem free but I intend to put 100% into it !

Despite your reply I would still welcome advice ( friendly or otherwise )

Keep em coming people !

Posted: 08 March 2011 04:41 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-09-15

Hi dont know if you ever solved the equipment issue but I am happy to help if still required.
We intend to set up an online store for catering equipment and spare parts for Spain and Gibraltar..

Thanks
Dave

Signature 

Dave Butler
http://www.cemcoltd.co.uk