Freelancer working in spain for one year on italian contract
Posted: 03 April 2010 12:10 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-01

Gents,

I would like to request your help on this issue because it is new to me.  I was hired by an human resource company in Italy to work in spain for one year.  my contract will be international contract.  I will get paid by the italian company only. I am paying taxes in italy.  when i move to spain do i have to pay taxes again in spain.  can i open a bank account in spain?  do i have to get my NIF number? how can I get health insurance?
these might be silly questions but they are making me sleepless.

thank you

Posted: 05 April 2010 01:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-09-03

Haitham - don’t panic!  It’ll be fine.  Remember every problem like these has been faced and resolved thousands of times before.  Your’s will be too.  If you are working in Spain, whether for your own account or for a foreign company, you should be registered and paying both tax and social security.  There are two common ways of proceeding in your situation.  One is for you to be an employee of the Italian company, one is to register as self-employed and invoice the Italian company as your only client.  If your company employs you they have to obtain a fiscal identity number and pay employers’ social security and deduct income tax from your pay.  Most companies employ an agency to do this.  If you go self-employed there is a slight risk that your arrangement is challenged by the tax authorities who increasingly challenge these arrangements where the “self-employed” person is actually an employee in reality.
If you do just continue as an Italian employee and bank your salary there, you will be operating unofficially here.  You won’t be able to bill clients or conduct any other formal business.  You could still get a bank account for non-residents using your passport and you should be able to get an EHIC before you leave Italy for your health cover I would have thought.
Hope that helps get you started at least.  Good luck.

Signature 

Advoco Accountancy & Law Spanish Income Tax Rates, Allowances and Declaration Thresholds 2010

Posted: 05 April 2010 03:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-01

“Advoco

thank you for your reply.
The main company is an italian company.  the human resource company (italian also) who be giving me the contract to work in spain.  the human resoruce comany will bill the main comany in italy for my services in spain.  they will transfer my salary after deduction of the italian taxes to my account in spain.  it will be the net salary.
that is where i am lost.  being hired in italy and working in spain.  i am afraid that the human resource comapny does not know the rules in spain and i do not want to be illegal in spain. 
being a non-resident person in spain as you have mentioned will i be able to have health insurance and able to open a bank account.  kindly keep in mind that the duration will be one year.

kindly let me know ASAP

thanks in advance.

Posted: 24 April 2010 11:55 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-09-03
haitham - 05 April 2010 03:52 PM

“Advoco

thank you for your reply.
The main company is an italian company.  the human resource company (italian also) who be giving me the contract to work in spain.  the human resoruce comany will bill the main comany in italy for my services in spain.  they will transfer my salary after deduction of the italian taxes to my account in spain.  it will be the net salary.
that is where i am lost.  being hired in italy and working in spain.  i am afraid that the human resource comapny does not know the rules in spain and i do not want to be illegal in spain. 
being a non-resident person in spain as you have mentioned will i be able to have health insurance and able to open a bank account.  kindly keep in mind that the duration will be one year.

kindly let me know ASAP

thanks in advance.

Sorry to be so late coming back on this one but I didn’t see it was directed to me.  It sounds to me like you should go legal in Spain i.e. become resident and set up as self-employed invoicing the Italian company.  But surely you should be invoicing your gross salary and paying taxes here in that case?  The HR company shouldn’t deduct Italian taxes if you are not working or living there.

Signature 

Advoco Accountancy & Law Spanish Income Tax Rates, Allowances and Declaration Thresholds 2010