Benefits in the UK
Posted: 21 May 2010 01:30 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-21

]I am an EFL Teacher in Seville who is coming to the end of his first 9 month contract. I am not entitled to benefit in Spain as I have not worked a full year so plan to go home for the Summer before returning in mid-September to teach again. Is it possible to claim benefit (Jobseeker?s or such like) back in the UK after being out of the country for this amount of time? Anyone with experience or knowledge of this, your comments would be gratefully received.

Posted: 21 May 2010 06:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Its best to ask direct to the dept for individual rights.

You may not be entitled unless you become a UK resident again, which takes 3 months.

When I arrived back and was seeking a job I did apply for JSA, I took one look at the form to fill in or rather huge book and didn’t bother, luckily I was working within a month and that allowed me to claim working tax credits and family tax credits.

From the phone call advice I was given in 2007 I would not have been entitled to JSA as I was out of the UK for 4 yrs, aparantly you have to have s certain time in the UK before, but don’t give up on my advice.

You may be able to claim JSA when you return to Spain though, worth checking out, probably in the CAB.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”