getting married!
Posted: 02 June 2010 05:40 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-02

Hi

We plan to get married next august in Torremolinos. We have found a venue but we need to organise someone to actually perform the legal ceremony. We want a civil ceremony. i know we haev to do certain thigns such as get our birth certificates translated etc, that is not a problem, the problem is finding a registrar to actually carry out the legal ceremony.

Does any know how I can organise this? People have suggested going to gib and getting the legal part done there and then having a blessing here in Spain, but we would rather do the whole thing here in Spain.

Many thanks in advance

Posted: 02 June 2010 06:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2010-01-25
hmaloney - 02 June 2010 05:40 PM

Hi

We plan to get married next august in Torremolinos. We have found a venue but we need to organise someone to actually perform the legal ceremony. We want a civil ceremony. i know we haev to do certain thigns such as get our birth certificates translated etc, that is not a problem, the problem is finding a registrar to actually carry out the legal ceremony.

Does any know how I can organise this? People have suggested going to gib and getting the legal part done there and then having a blessing here in Spain, but we would rather do the whole thing here in Spain.

Many thanks in advance

Next August - you mean 2011, correct? If you’re talking 2010, you’re cutting it VERY close.
You need to get in touch with the juzgados/ayuntamiento in Torremolinos. From what I understand, the only people who have the power to perform civil ceremonies (at least up here) are either judges, the mayor, or other town officials.

Posted: 02 June 2010 06:58 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-02

yes 2011!

thanks for the advice

Posted: 02 June 2010 08:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2010-01-25
hmaloney - 02 June 2010 06:58 PM

yes 2011!

thanks for the advice

Get in touch with them ASAP. I have two coworkers who are getting married via the civil route. BOTH of them have had long waits, so the sooner you get the legal business done, the better off you’ll be! (One of the poor girls is jumping through hoops right now so she won’t have to change her wedding date this summer.)

Good luck!