SKY+ HD box brought from Ireland to Spain?
Posted: 27 June 2010 05:35 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-27

I would appreciate any advice regarding my Sky+ HD box. I used this box in Ireland with a subscription package for 11 months before leaving for Spain last October. The service was then terminated. I have brought the box to Spain and wonder if it can be put to use here without subscription. I have tried to find channels in the “Add Channels” section,  but I always get the message “Service not available whilst two recordings are in progress”.  Also, I don’t know what the frequency. polarisation, symbol rate, and FEC values should be. I am using a 90CM dish.
I would love to make use of the box, but is this possible when the original subscription has been terminated?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Caoimh?n.

Posted: 28 June 2010 12:58 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

no , sky will are have turn the recored off on the box ... one subscription has been terminated . as few view box it ok . you can get the box turn back on again with a package from sky again , need used irish address and bank acount dont ring sky from spain via phone an moblie as show where call come from . just had this problem with my mums sky and rang them had guy come and ring from house anmd turn it back on again , guy was sky agent . all iwas doing was downgrading from sport movies to 28 euro PM

what do you want to do with the box , what do you want to pick up >?

jurdy

Posted: 28 June 2010 11:50 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07
caoimh?n - 27 June 2010 05:35 PM

I would appreciate any advice regarding my Sky+ HD box. I used this box in Ireland with a subscription package for 11 months before leaving for Spain last October. The service was then terminated. I have brought the box to Spain and wonder if it can be put to use here without subscription. I have tried to find channels in the “Add Channels” section,  but I always get the message “Service not available whilst two recordings are in progress”.  Also, I don’t know what the frequency. polarisation, symbol rate, and FEC values should be. I am using a 90CM dish.
I would love to make use of the box, but is this possible when the original subscription has been terminated?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Caoimh?n.

You can certainly use the Sky HD box in Spain - but you will not get much on a 90cm dish without any subscription.
Similaryly the reecording features of the Sky HD box are only active if you have a subscription.

For the box to work and boot up correctly, either you need two cables from the LNB to the receiver (one for input 1 and one for Input 2) or you need to put the box into Single Cable Feed - somewhere in the services 0 0 4 select menu.

“Also, I don’t know what the frequency. polarisation, symbol rate, and FEC values should be”
The default transponder, where the full 7 day sky EPG is located is on 11778. This is the frequency sky bxoes look to to get the data to help them boot up.
On small dishes, this frequency may be unavailable, so you will need to help it boot by getting it to look at another frequency for this “boot up data”. you can use about 50% of the 90plus frequencies that a small dish can receive - ie any on Eurobird 1 or Astra 2 a and b south beams (12129v 12207v 11954h for example). Once booted it makes no difference what the default transponder is, as the box will use whichever of the 90plus frequencies it needs top look at for the channel you are watching.

Default Transponder Frequency Settings for Sky boxes

Default Transponder Frequency Settings for Sky boxes

Without a sky card / subscritpion i think you may only get ONE HD channel - Luxe HD.
With a freesatfromskycard you shoul dbe able to get ITV1 HD, C4 hd and the soon to be launched Five HD.
Many of the Irish channels require a Sky card to view, and even then most of them require a 2.4m dish to receive - i think 3e is the only one you can get on a smaller dish.

Hope that helps

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 29 June 2010 11:46 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-27

Hi, thanks. I have lots of new information there and can experiment further. Muchas gracias.
Caoimh?n.