Getting my UK car home
Posted: 04 July 2010 02:27 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-04

Hi there

I currently live in Valencia, and I’m going back to England in August. I have a British registered car here, which I declared “Off the road” in the UK a few months ago, as I had no way of renewing the MOT.

My problem is, now that she’s Off The Road, I can’t insure or tax her without getting an MOT. I’ve checked around, and I cant see anyway of getting an MOT over here in Spain.

Does anyone know of a loop hole that will let me drive her home? The only thing I can think of is registering her as a Spanish car, paying the stupid amounts of money just to drive home and have to reverse it all. not only would that be a total waste of cahs, knowing Spanish systems it would most likely take me until 2013 to get all the paper work done.

Please, anyone know how I can go home with my car now?

Thanks!

Posted: 05 July 2010 11:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Probably the only legal way is to have it transported via a removals company.

But the expert is Brian Deller he writes in the Round Town News paper and publishes a book on driving in Spain.

see here:
http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24287&Itemid=383

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 05 July 2010 01:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi,
Have to agree with Rob on this one, plus just to add to the problem the SORN you have is invalid…it can only be applied to vehicles on the UK mainland and has no validity outside the UK. Do not let DVLA find out that the vehicle is over here otherwise they will stuff you with fines for non payment of roadtax…Forget any ideas you may have about obtaining a Spanish ITV (MOT) cert…irrespective of what others may tell you it has no validity on anything other than a Spanish reg car. If you do decide to put it on the Spanish register you will need an ITV plus a certificate of conformance from the vehicle manufacturer, mods will be required to the headlights and rear fog/reverse lights will need to be transposed if there is only one of each.

The only way to get it back’as is’ is on the back of a transporter.

There is no loophole; the vehicle is illegal in the UK and is immediately illegal over here too…
It is a situation faced by many Brit owners and probably accounts for the high number of Brit reg cars which are over here totally illegally.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 06 July 2010 02:50 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

if you car from Ireland you need tax on it when driving it anywhere in EU .... the police can take it off you , fine you and make you pay for fines , and if scraped

So the story is you need you tags,  tax up todate and Car insurance . police are getting touf on this , money make way for them .

none payment fines can stop you for getting in Usa and so on as you have a court rit against you ....

think befor you driver with right paper work and tags

Uk and Ireland , fines cross the waters ... and this will come to hole EU soon

Any police car in spain that stop you , with there camera and computers system onboard can fine out about you car in the uk now thanks Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) based in Swansea, south Wales why ask will thay have been put car on the Electronic Vehicle Licensing system (EVL)

got to see there system few weeks ago ....