Broadband speeds etc in Barcelona
Posted: 19 July 2010 04:41 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-07-19

New here, but moving to Barca in about a month. Missus already there and we’re trying to figure out broadband and who to go with.

Am currently with Virgin in the UK and get 20 meg, really robust service. Looking around I only see Ono (cable) doing above 10-12Mb, and I’m not sure if they cover the area where we live. Everyone else seems to only do 10 max (though I think I saw Vodafone doing 12Mb).

Any offers? I saw a post saying Jazztel where decent. And I see most people on here don’t rate Telefonica.

I’m also wanting to know what the highest speed I can get is - in the UK there are various sites where you can enter your postcode and it will tell you the max speed you can expect. Is there anywhere i can do that online for Barcelona or do I have to phone Telefonica to get them to tell me (as they own all the lines?).

Posted: 30 July 2010 09:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-07-19
arfoll - 30 July 2010 09:16 PM

I’ve just gotten Telefonica broadband in la ciudad veilla barcelona.

The problem with mis that I’m only staying for a year, and so most contracts where 18 months. Therefore telefonica was the only option.

They are really annoying, contradictory and take ages to set it up (and do it really badly), master plug set up with terrible quality extension wiring etc… but once I redid the cabling the speed was actually very good - http://www.speedtest.net/result/896319055.png

I really wouldn’t recommend cable, contention ratio means it’s really bad… but some people love to have high theoretical speeds… Why don’t you do a speedtest on your virgin line and show us what you currently get 😉

Thanks for the reply.

We chose to go with Jazztel, after various people had told us they used them and were pretty good. Ono didn’t do cable in our area, and I think I read on here that they’d fulfill broadband by leasing Telefonica lines like everyone else anyway.

And with virgin I get 16-18 download, .6-.8 upload. It’s been very, very good (and my only option where I am currently - my adsl would have been .25 max theoretical speed)

Posted: 14 September 2010 04:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-07-19

am here now and we’ve had Jazztel for about six weeks. So far it’s been okay, and speedtest gives me about anywhere between 10-12mbs download, which isn’t too bad, though not as great as 16-18 obviously. Upload speeds are the same as when I was with Virgin though.