Caja Madrid ... what a con… help
Posted: 21 July 2010 09:13 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-21

i looked at buying a flat in algorfa 4 years ago and pulled out and lost 1000 euros as key property eastate agents refused to refund

At time opened a bank account at caja madrid ... been getting statements in for a while and just ignored then its now at 440 euros i got thru to the relevant branch in benidorm and they adv me the account that the estate agent opened for me was one with an overdraft and although it was 0 .... in spain you get charged for not using an account and the girl said i should closed…

not prepared to pay this amount, she spoke to manager and told me pay 225 euros they will close account..

Out of interest if i dont pay can this come back to bite me….???

i have a friend in murcia at moment and he said will do a bank transfer,,,,, is it just my iban number he needs????    if i was paying from uk she gave me a iban/ swift no however its 12 digits i thought its only 11???

Please advise what dets a spanish bank to another needs????

Posted: 22 July 2010 02:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Deposits are non refundable so the agent did not rip you off.

I would suggest you settle this matter as later if you decide to return to Spain this might cause you a problem.

It might be easiest (and cheapest) for your friend to transfer the money within Spain - yes he needs your IBAN (make sure you give him the 20 digit account number) then get the account closed.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 24 July 2010 12:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I wouldn’t.

The EU have run bank tests across the EU, so far 5 Spanish Caja have failed the test and will need money injected into them or they’ll fail, the total have not been released yet, so expect most of the Spanish Caja to be well into the brown stuff and will likely disappear or merge.

A debt outstanding of less than 3,000 euros is unlikely to bit much when you return to Spain, less than 500 is not even worth thinking about.

Compare that to Spain’s current financial situation, the amount of defaults, it’ll be a long time to wait for Spain to start lending in any great numbers.

I spoke to a friend who works in a debt collection agency that covers debt abroad and there turning away Spanish banks that are looking into recovering money from people who simply up and left Spain with loans etc, the problem is Spain cannot enforce Spanish laws against defaulters who return to the UK with no assets, UK law means people will simply go Bankrupt or take out an IVA, which will right off the debt and leave the Spanish further in debt.

Apparently there could be thousands of Brits who simply handed back the keys, had the properties sold by auction and still owe the bank the difference, too which they left Spain and told the banks to kiss there arses.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”