Working in media (film or television)
Posted: 09 August 2010 07:21 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-01-08

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could help me answer a few questions.  I m an Australian/Croatian Living in Madrid at the moment looking for work in film or television.  I have bee searching for work since the start of the year but had no luck, I have sent countless number of CV’s (around 300) to producers, editors,production houses but had a few responses all negative, not regards to my CV but to the state of finding work in the country at the moment.  I was wondering if anyone knows of any different avenues to approach instead of just sending CV’s out, i.e is there any group meetings or networking available to people in the film and tv that I could go to or if there is a website directly related to this industry?  Also where to search if people are in need of editors or assistants, cameraman, I would even work for free for a little while just to get my foot in the door.  At the moment its driving nuts and I m seriously considering moving back to Oz.  Any response or help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Igor

Posted: 11 August 2010 10:17 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-08-11

It’s a long shot but I noticed there a film studio/ground near Alicante, maybe the market’s better there?
Also London is not that far, if you don’t mind the weather, I guess?
Which area are you working in (props, sparks, etc)?

Posted: 11 August 2010 10:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-01-08

HI,
thanks for the reply, I work in post production, offline editing to be exact but will work on a crew as a runner if I come across something just as long I can get a start over here.  you are right about London, it might have to be the case.
Cheers
Igor

Posted: 22 October 2010 09:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-22

I used to work in the film industry in Spain ... from what I hear Madrid, Barcelona and Mallorca are the best places right now. But you have to meet people face to face. Go to production company offices and meet people. Its not as easy as just sending a CV. Its a notoriously difficult industry to get into, most people get in by knowing someone - that’s how I did it!

The industry is very slow at the moment, even in Madrid, so you’ll have to be patient and persistent. The producers have their usual crew, you have to hope that they really, really fancy you, or that some of their guys let them down.

Signature 

Architects and Eco Construction, Malaga, Marbella, Granada ..
http://www.ecovidainternational.com