HELP I AM NEW!!!! ADVICE PLEASE!!!!
Posted: 13 April 2007 03:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-04-12

Hi everybody.

My name is Sarah and I am new to this.

My husband and I and our two daughters age 20 months and 5 are hoping to re-locate to Estepona within the next 18 months. Been on a few hols there, going back in October for a look around and to try and be “a local” and not go in a hotel but apartment this time.

I have been doing lots of re-search regarding schools for my girls and have come to the conclusion that Spanish school seems to be the way forward especially for the girls’ language and mingling with the locals. Any advice on schools would be really appreciated as it is my biggest worry. Well that and a job for my husband who is an IT Project Manager.

Also I was wondering about our ‘child allowance’ that we get in the UK, are we still entitled to this when we live in Spain or do we get something from the Spanish Government once my husband starts work? Any advice again would be appreciated.

I would love to hear from anybody out there with any advice or words of “wisdom”.

I am very excited and can’t sleep at night, but also worried about the girls more than any thing - As we parents never stop doing!

Anyway have a good day all whether it be here in cold England or you lucky ones out there in the sun (where hopefully I will be very soon.

Kindest regards.

Sarah

Posted: 14 April 2007 09:51 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-03-13

you can claim all your benefits from the uk as far as im aware even your state pension,you either have it payed into your uk bank account and transfer funds to spain,for certain things you need a ni number to buy cars and property,all property buying should be with a well known solicitor
on here their are many members who can advice you better but enjoy your new life,the sun and sea and most of all explore spain not just the costa’s

Posted: 27 April 2007 09:10 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-04-27

Hi, I am also new to this forum.

My family and I are also looking to move to spain (hopefully before the end of this year) to Estepona.  I am there in May for another interview with a company in Gibraltar (I work in insurance).  Also gives me another opportunity to check out the Estepona area.

Glad to find a site/forum with so many people who are in a similar position to us.

I have done quite a bit of research into the move so I would be happy to share this information with anyone who needs it.  We are actually renting a holiday apartment on a long term lease (either 6 ot 11 month) to begin with, with a view to buying or renting further later down the line.

If anybody has any information for me with regards to local spanish schools in Estepona I would be grateful.  I have a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl.

Thanks!

Dan

Posted: 30 April 2007 07:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-04-19
tonelock - 14 April 2007 09:51 PM

you can claim all your benefits from the uk as far as im aware even your state pension

Please, please look into this very carefully before you make a decision. Things like child benefit are not exportable allowances and there are many others which you cannot claim once you leave the UK. Mobility and attendance allowance are just two which spring to mind.
See here for further information re exportable allowances http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/Benefits/benefit-list.htm

Regards Trudi