Doctor registration nightmare
Posted: 19 October 2010 07:24 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-10-19

My wife and I are ex pats living in Spain.  I am 57, my wife 56.  We are travelling to Costa Rica and we are looking for travel insurance.  We will be travelling from 3rd Nov until 25th Nov.  As ex pats (we retired at 55 and live off our private pensions and investments) we are not able to get onto the Spanish health system (we are resident in Spain) and after 33 years of paying into the UK system they want nothing to do with us either.  When we first moved to Andalucia 4 years ago we went and registered at the local Health Centre.  Now they say we are not registered and never have been.  This means we cannot register with a doctor in our country of residence.  Mad I know, you’d think these people might have heard of EUROPE!  Anyway as a result of this we are finding it very difficult to get travel insurance as most companies insist (in their small print) that you are registered with a doctor in your country of residence.  Anyway, it’s important we get on to the Spanish system and at the moment it seems we can’t until we reach retirement age.  Does anyone have any help or advice to offer us?
Many thanks

‹‹ is post reliable?      Pain medication ››