Risks for a US citizen living ilegally in Spain and traveling to the US for a wedding.
Posted: 22 November 2010 08:19 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-11-22

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I’ve read pretty much all the threads on this topic and from what I understand it is most likely not an issue but there is a chance (although small) of getting into trouble.

Ive been living in BCN for a year and want to stay for another, I have not returned to the States since but my brother is getting married and I have to be there for it. But it would be terrible if for some reason I couldn’t return back to my life here.

Most expats Ive talked to and from the things Ive read, I understand that I wont have issues provided I fly into and out of Spain(and not the the UK).  And as long as I speak English, act like a tourist and obviously dont tell them Ive been living here, there shouldnt be an issue.

—-But—-

While most say nothing will happen, I have spoken to another American who was traveling from Majorca back to Spain and she was questioned, and the guy was searching for her entry stamp. Now, I must preface this by saying she was flying through Ryanair and I know the British are 10x more strict about visas than the Spanish, so maybe that was it or she was just unlucky or both. She said she was applying for a NIE and they let her pass.

I guess I dont really have any specific questions but I was really hoping to get some feedback on this from US expats living on an expired visa who have travelled between the US and Spain  Any advice, such as where to fly out of and into or other tips comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Posted: 22 November 2010 08:39 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’ve had the best luck flying through Milan and Paris. Both Amsterdam and Frankfurt aren’t too bad but they’re getting stricter. London is the worst (not sure if you meant London instead of Majorca there).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 22 November 2010 09:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-22

I’m dealing with a similar issue: living in Spain right now past my 3 month tourist visa ended (only 2 weeks past).  However, I would like to travel home to the US for Christmas but I need to come back to Spain immediately after.

Would you recommend flying back into Milan or Frankfurt over flying directly back into Spain?

Also, would it help if I enrolled in a university class for the spring semester and had the registration available upon my return to show to customs if questioned?

Or, since I’m playing a sport over here, would it help if I received a special invitation to a tournament in January, in order to get back in?

Thank you!

Posted: 22 November 2010 10:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-11-22

Expatriator-

Thank you for your quick response! One more quick question for you: What is your advice on flying in and out of Barcelona (El Prat), for example, BCN to JFK and vise versa. Is this relatively safe also or should I be looking for flights that connect through either Paris or Milan instead.

Thanks! And anyone else who has other input on this matter it would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 22 November 2010 11:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

JFK-BCN should be pretty safe. Customs at BCN has never questioned me upon arrival, only upon departure. That was a bit hairy actually but luckily I was actually within my 3 months that time.

Whitey - enrolling in classes would get you a student visa which would, of course, be better than no visa (or a 3 month tourist visa). Not sure about the sports invitation but sounds plausible that that could help.

In general things have been tightening up over the last 5 years or so but, like I said, Paris and Milan still seem to be relatively safe (most likely because their customs people don’t speak a lot of English and they’re full of American tourists).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 November 2010 10:17 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-22

Barcaisawesome, when is your wedding?

I may be going home for xmas so I could let you know how I make out.  If you are going home earlier than I am, it would be great if you could do the same.

Thanks!

Posted: 05 December 2010 01:40 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-11-22

Whitey-

The wedding is in March so you will be going through the gauntlet before me! Please if you can let me know how it goes for you. Are you flying out of BCN? Connecting somewhere?  Any info would be appreciated!!

Expatriator-
Do you think there will be any problems flying to Majorca from BCN and back? The girl I wrote about earlier said she had trouble trying to come back from Palma. I think this was just bad luck, what do you think?

Thanks again!!