greatgrandchild of spanish citizen with deceased parents and grandparents
Posted: 06 December 2010 12:47 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-11-29

Hi,
I am a filipino and I am interested in applying for dual citizenship.  My greatgrandparents were spanish citizens ,my grandfather and my parents are filipinos. Based on what I have read,  MY mother,who is still alive, apparently qualifies to opt for dual citizenship.  My cousin’s qualifying parent (my mom’s brother) is deceased but she has the original documents needed.  Can she apply for dual citizenship as a greatgrandchild?
We plan to do this together.

can someone please help us.
Thanks.

Posted: 06 December 2010 04:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

milagros,
where were your great grandparents born?
when did they arrive in the philippines?
was your grandfather registered by your greatgrandparents at the spanish consulate?
do you speak spanish?

Posted: 07 December 2010 03:25 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-11-29

Hola y mil gracias…
I do speak a bit of spanish. I understand more.
Thank you so much for responding.
I hope i will not sound confusing.

Three of my greatgrandparents were born in spain.  They all came to the philippines between 1875 and 1890’s.  The philippines was then under spanish rule.
One was born in ciudad Real.  I have the certificate stating that he (my greatGF) wanted to conserve his spanish citizenship as a peninsular and has a list of his children which includes my GF.  I do not have a copy of my grandfather’s birth certificate.  I do have his death certificate.
The second GF was born in Burgos, Spain. I have my mom’s birth certificate, and my grandmother’s birth certificate.  My grandmother’s birth certificate is in spanish and states her father was born in Burgos and lists his parent’s names.  We are now in the process of obtaining a copy of my great grandfather’s birth certificate from Burgos.
My third GF was born in Ea spain.  I have his baptismal certificate.  Unfortunately we cannot find my GF’s birth certificate.

I think our best way to go is through my second GF, who is my mom’s maternal GF.

Do I need to speak spanish really well?

Thanks
Milagros

Posted: 08 December 2010 01:32 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30
milagros - 07 December 2010 03:25 AM

Hola y mil gracias…
I do speak a bit of spanish. I understand more.
Thank you so much for responding.
I hope i will not sound confusing.

if you plan to live and work in spain, you better take lessons to reach a high intermediate level

Three of my greatgrandparents were born in spain.  They all came to the philippines between 1875 and 1890’s.  The philippines was then under spanish rule.
One was born in ciudad Real.  I have the certificate stating that he (my greatGF) wanted to conserve his spanish citizenship as a peninsular and has a list of his children which includes my GF.  I do not have a copy of my grandfather’s birth certificate.  I do have his death certificate.

when/where was your grandfather born? i suppose the birth certificate you have is a filipino birth certificate. in this birth certificate what is his citizenship? what are his parents citizenship? was his birth ever registered at the spanish consulate? the certificate you mention, what kind of certificate is it?

The second GF was born in Burgos, Spain. I have my mom’s birth certificate, and my grandmother’s birth certificate.  My grandmother’s birth certificate is in spanish and states her father was born in Burgos and lists his parent’s names.  We are now in the process of obtaining a copy of my great grandfather’s birth certificate from Burgos.

your grandmother, if she is still alive and can produce her father’s spanish birth certificate will have no problems getting spanish citizenship once she gets the rest of the documents required by the spanish consulate in manila. if your grandmother’s birth was registered at the spanish consulate, your mother might be able to have her birth late registered at the spanish consulate. if your grandmother’s birth was not registered by her father at the spanish embassy, your mother may only be given a residence permit and will have to live in spain for a year before she can apply for citizenship.

Do I need to speak spanish really well?

if you plan to migrate you better equip yourself with skills and language proficiency. there are 4 million unemployed in spain at the moment, you will be competing with south americans, then spaniards for jobs. you might get by by teaching english but you will be competing with the british, irish.

Posted: 13 December 2010 12:25 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-12-13

If I may butt in here…

I’m an American citizen. Parents and grandparents are Cubans. Great-grandparents are Spanish.

Parents were born in Cuba 55/57. My grandmother was born in 39 or so. Not sure when any of my great-grandparents immigrated to Cuba.

What options do my parents have in regards to becoming citizens? Is residency required?

And once my parents become citizens, can I piggyback off them and gain citizenship myself?

Posted: 14 December 2010 02:14 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-11-29

Hello,
I apologize for being silent for a while.  I was away from technology.
  I am currently doing the “apostile” requirements from the philippine governtment so I am quite busy.  I did get in touch with someone form the spanish embassy who listed the process and requirements.  I will keep in touch once I learn more about what I had to do.

Posted: 14 December 2010 02:18 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-11-29

Hello Tourist,
I am rather new to all this.  All I know is what I have read from the legal section of this great web page. I know a cousin of mine whose mother opted for the citizenship and all her kids were allowed to “piggyback”.
I hope this helps.

Posted: 15 December 2010 09:56 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-12-13

When you say piggyback, do you mean they all became citizens at the same time, or that the mother became a citizen and once that was official, the son/daughter applied and got accepted?

Posted: 15 December 2010 10:54 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-11-29

all their applications were processed together.