Solar Power
Posted: 11 December 2010 08:27 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08

Is there anybody currently living in Spain that has any experience of using solar power for heating/cooling their homes etc?

Posted: 11 December 2010 09:08 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Ian…check your email…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 11 December 2010 09:11 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
foxbat - 11 December 2010 09:08 PM

Ian…check your email…

fb

Thanks, got it.
😉

Posted: 17 December 2010 06:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for replying but I already know how it works I was meaning if anyone actually uses it successfully in Spain with all that free sunshine.

Thanks again.

Posted: 18 December 2010 04:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Ianmc,

Matthews post deleted…SPAM!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 07 February 2011 06:00 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-05

Hi There,

I’m Ellis M.D. of gosolarinspain - We are (probably) the number one supplier of solar electric home kits to expats in Spain. We also supply solar water heaters - the new vented to atmosphere models with the small assistant tank on top. If anyone needs advice I would be glad to help.

Ellis

Posted: 15 February 2011 03:00 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-10-11

Hi I have a vacuum tube solar water heater fitted to my own house and it works very well providing more than 300 days of free hot water and greatly reducing my fuel bills !!

I was so impressed that I now import and sell them mysellf, I am sure that they will soon become very popular and well accepted.

Fit one now and start to save money !!

Tony ( cssolar importer of Deno Solar Equipment into Spain )

Posted: 25 February 2011 12:14 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-11

Hi, I have 3 sizes

108 LITRE ( 2 people ) 540?+iva

160 LITRE (3/4 people ) 700?+iva

200 LITRE (4/5 people ) 800?+iva

If you self install the pay back time should be about 2 years

Best Regards Tony

Posted: 03 April 2012 12:13 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-11

Ways to save electric.

Another good use for solar water heating, is to feed your dish washer with hot water.

Most dish washers can accept pre heated up to water 60 degrees, a thermostatic valve can be fitted to ensure the water is not to hot.

This will reduce the amount of electric used and save money !!

If you live in Spain full time solar water heating will greatly reduce your bills

Tony cssolar

Posted: 14 April 2012 10:30 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11

Solar Hot water heating is effective and a good money saver, with savings per annum on Hotwater heating cost of between 50 and 70%, A 2 year payback is very optimistic, (for example a LPG Hot water heater in a house with 2 people will use about a bottle of gas every 5/6 weeks, at a cost of 15? per bottle is about 130? per year!! and you may save about only 70% of that) ,
I would be careful if installing some of the cheaper models that are about mainly as they tend to be unpressurised see below, and can suffer badly from corrosion. The Glass vacuum tube type seem to be more efficient, however the seals have been known to cause problems after about 2 to 3 years, So I would go for the flat plate type collector

If you put in an unpressurised system, you could end up having major problems maintaining a steady temperature with the shower mixer or other mixer taps, due to mains pressure fluctuations not being seen by the gravity fed hotwater system!!

The tank size can be critical, and I would never put in a tank less than 150Ltr and 180/200Ltr is probably the safe minimum, as anything less could mean frequently running out of hot water or more importantly the booster heater (usually electric,) will be used more often to make up the heat shortfall, which in turn means that you are not saving money on electric , which was the prime purpose of the system!!

The guarantee is important, and if you put in a quality brand such as Solahart or similar you will find that the unit has a minimum of 2 years on parts and up to 10 years on the tank!!  The downside of a quality brand is that a 180ltr unit will cost you about 1500/1700? plus IVA, but you will only install the unit once so get it right as you only get what you pay for!!

Cheap will cost you in the long run when dealing with the particularly harsh water here in Spain… ( look in your Kettle, that will tell you all you need to know!!.

Signature 

Mike