Motorbike Talk!! Help Needed urgently!
Posted: 05 January 2011 01:31 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-01-04

Hi Everyone,

Bit of a dilemma!!! Ive just moved to Spain with my girlfriend, Murcia to be exact.
My motorbike is due to arrive this week after being shipped out from the uk, Can anyone tell me what i need to do exactly to make it legal over here, Im not working yet and do not understand spanish properly,(But my girlfriend is fluent).
I Need insurance obviously but none of the spanish insurers want to insure me because im 23 and i have a kawasaki ninja zx 6r?
Please Can Someone help me!!!!

Thanks

Posted: 05 January 2011 05:41 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

OK…Assuming you have a full UK licence with Group A, you can legally ride the bike over here. The minimum age for bikes exceeding 15kw power is 20 years so you are OK there. Your UK issued EU style photocard licence is acceptable over here provided it is supported by the paper document issued with it.

For the first six months (183 days) you can use your UK documentation over here, provided that documentation remains valid in the UK in terms of MOT and Road Tax. Do not let either expire or regardless of your insurance you will be illegal both here and in the UK and DVLA have a nasty habit of chasing non-payment. All the time the bike is on English plates it must be kept legal in the eyes of DVLA.

You should carry all of the vehicle documentation with you every time you take the bike out on the road.
Crash helmets are of course mandatory.

Insurance may be a problem but there are plenty of English speaking Insurance companies out here who will be only too willing to take your money. It could be worth your while talking to your UK Insurers to see how long European cover is available on your current Insurance documentation. Its probably 3 months but it’s 3 months in which you could be looking around to find a Spanish company.

I would suggest you take your Spanish speaking G/F along to a Spanish ITV (MOT) Station and discuss with them the requirements for re-registering the bike onto Spanish plates (if that is your intention). The ITV Station will need to check the bike over when you come to re-register it anyway so forewarned is forearmed.

If there is anything on the bike that is not factory approved / fitted expect questions from the ITV authority. Don’t know if its the same for bikes as it is for cars but you should have a Certificate of Conformance from the manufacturer or dealer you bought the bike from.

A list of ITV Stations in Murcia…

http://www.qype.co.uk/es62/categories/680-mot-testing-centres-in-region-de-murcia

The ITV system over here is government run; when it comes to testing vehicles they don’t have an axe to grind by inventing problems. That said the test is far more thorough than the UK.

You can expect a lot of support over here for big bikes especially from folks of your own age ...the Spanish generally are big bike crazy. Think Jorge Lorenzo…he has a fanatical following…

The Guardia Civil Trafficos have a fleet of big bikes (BMW’s I think…) and they know how to handle them; many GC officers speak passable English so if you have any problems don’t be afraid to ask them. As fellow motorcyclist’s they are generally supportive of other big bike riders. You will seldom see one on his own however; invariably they operate in pairs.

Be prepared however for the suicidal tendencies of the two stroke brigade especially in towns; the rules it seems do not apply to them, you need eyes everywhere where they are concerned.

Hope this goes some way to help.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 05 January 2011 05:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-04

Hi

Thank You very much fb for all the information!! Any time you wanna ride out gimme a shout haha!!!!
Laters Buddy

Walker

Posted: 06 January 2011 04:37 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-06
Walker070587 - 05 January 2011 01:31 AM

Hi Everyone,

Bit of a dilemma!!! Ive just moved to Spain with my girlfriend, Murcia to be exact.
My motorbike is due to arrive this week after being shipped out from the uk, Can anyone tell me what i need to do exactly to make it legal over here, Im not working yet and do not understand spanish properly,(But my girlfriend is fluent).
I Need insurance obviously but none of the spanish insurers want to insure me because im 23 and i have a kawasaki ninja zx 6r?
Please Can Someone help me!!!!

Thanks

IBEX insurance in Gibraltar will help you….I have my Buell with them…

http://www.ibexinsure.com/

Other than that Carol Nash in UK offers 365 day European Cover….

Road tax only is an issue when you/if you back to blighty….I suggest you keep it on the bike if you intend to cross the water back to England.

I have been told that if you go back to the UK, or even over to France/Gibraltar, get your crossing stamped/authorised and the 183 day ‘clock’ starts again. You only need to cross for one day and back again, but you have to leave Spanish Territory.

I will have to take my Buell out of Tenerife to Madeira (Portuguese colony) in much the same capacity…..good luck.

Posted: 07 January 2011 04:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2009-08-19

Try Catalunya Insurance Services. They compare all the major players and give you the best price. They are also motorcyclists and can advise on the replating procedures. 0034 977493607 or email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 11 January 2011 03:09 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-04

Cant seem to insure it out here because im 23????
Im stuck!!
Can anyone else help???

Posted: 11 January 2011 01:38 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2009-08-19

once again Catalunya Insurance Services can insure you. You must have had a licence for at least 2 years and it will be expensive.

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:05 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-04

Ive had my licence since nov 2010, any other tips???

Posted: 05 February 2011 06:24 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-05

Yes,be careful with the local police fines and “guardia civil de trafico”, mostly of the little town-halls are broke right now
and they are looking for money from everyone who rides a motorbike, i’d been riding motorcycles for 20 years,now only motocross bikes, and now they are beating hard with the fines.