Import my car to spain
Posted: 08 January 2011 11:28 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-01-08

Hi

Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I am going to import my car into Spain,but due to it’s high value ( it’s a 12 month old Range Rover Sport) I have been told that the import tax will be nearly 10,000 euros !!!

Can this be right? I paid tax in the UK when I bought it. I’ve only been registered on the Padron for 3 months and was hoping I would not have to pay import tax.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? can anyone recommend where to get good advise about this?

Cheers
Lisa

Posted: 08 January 2011 01:39 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-08

I had the same problem when I tried to register my three year old Boxster which I brought with me from the UK when I moved to Spain.  I was told by a local Gestor that I would have to pay over 4,000 euros in matriculation tax. However, after a spot of web surfing I found http://www.carimportinspain.com  They had a look at my paperwork and told me that I wouldn’t have to pay any matriculation tax !!  Needless to say I gave them the job.  They, basically, took care of everything.  All I had to do was take my car to the ITV station on a certain day. They met me there and even drove the car through the ITV test for me.  About a week later they turned up at my home with my Spanish plates and fitted them to my car.  They had even paid my first year’s road tax. All in all it was an excellent service and they saved me 4,000 euros!
Lillian Ward,  Sitges

Posted: 08 January 2011 02:35 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-08

Lilian

Do you know where car import in Spain are based,so I can get them to take care of it for me…hopefully?

Posted: 08 January 2011 03:14 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-08

The guy I used was based in Barcelona.  However, he told me that they have offices in Alicante and Marbella.

Posted: 08 January 2011 03:27 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-08

Thanks. I’ll get in touch with them and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advise.

Posted: 09 January 2011 03:24 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-08

Lilian.

great bit of advise you gave me there. I have spoken to carimportinspain in Alicante where I am based,and they are going to take care of this for me. I can’t speak highly enough of them up to now. It’s seems I was given incorrect information about having to pay such a large amount of matriculation tax. I would strongly advise that anyone who is going to import their car speaks to them . They cover the whole of Spain too I am told.

Thanks again
Lisa

Posted: 09 January 2011 06:15 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-09

Hi

Just wanted to say that I dealt with both Chris and Mike at carimportinspain when I moved here from the US. They did a great job for me.

I shipped a 12 month old Mercedes S500 and paid no import or matriculation tax whatsoever.
They dealt with the whole thing for me,including customs clearance.The same car in Spain was over 30,000 euros more,so it was well worth it.
Raymondo

Posted: 09 January 2011 10:50 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-09

My Dad used car import in spain about 2 years ago when he shipped his old Merc sports car and his everyday Merc E320 over from the US to Spain. Both were LHD US cars from California. I remember him telling me how much he had saved on import and registration taxes using that company.
So when I decided to move down to Spain from the UK in October to join my family, I emailed car import in spain to ask if they could get my UK RHD car onto Spanish plates. Guess what - that happened in 3 weeks flat and my M3 Coupe now sits on Spanish number plates and I also didn’t pay any taxes either. I had an NIE number and had just rented a Villa too but overall I think I saved a cool 3.500 euros by letting them do it, but as I have heard its a total nightmare to try it yourself.
Why would I even think about doing that when I have to move house and family to another country - who needs to think about registering cars too! They saved me and my family a fortune and got the job done perfectly. Nice company to deal with and a great bunch of caring people too.
Vistaboy

Posted: 19 January 2011 06:21 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-19

hi, i can highly recommend Registering A Car In Spain  , i used them when I needed to re-register my car based here in Denia.  They are located near Alicante City, were very friendly and the most competively priced.