Modelo 790, NIE and banks
Posted: 26 February 2011 04:24 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-26

Hola todos!

I’m new here - and new in Spain.

I’ve been looking through the forums and there seems to be a lot of bitty information on the whole NIe application process, I was wondering if someone could give me a definitive guide to getting this sorted.

In short, I have my Modelo 790, I have the EX 16 and I have an appointment for June in the Oficina de Extranjeros.

The problem I’m having is that I’m working now, and I need to open a bank account.

This morning I went to ING and they told me I needed the NIE number to open the account.

I’ve read in some places that it’s possible to get a temporary NIE before the appointment in the Oficina de Extranjeros.

Do I have to get the modelo sorted at Caja madrid and bring that to the Oficina ASAP to get the temporary number?

Any help at all would be great.

Many thanks

Gareth

Posted: 28 February 2011 02:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-28

Hey! I will just post a quick question here. Why do you have ex16? They gave me ex16 too, but in internet I read that for a NIE number you need ex14. I?m very confused now.
And yes I have heard that you can get a temporary number too, if you want I can ask the lady when I go to my appointment tomorrow.

Posted: 28 February 2011 06:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-26

Well, I think - although i’m not sure - the ex14 is for the NIE only. The ex16 is for a residence permit and an NIE, all-inclusive.

So much information posted on this topic is out of date and there doesn’t seem to be anything comprehensive on Spanish websites either (my Spanish partner can’t make head-nor-tail of it either).

If you could ask about the temporary number that would be great - I take it you have completed and paid for the modelo 790?

G

Posted: 28 February 2011 09:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes Glamracket you are correct:
EX14 for NIE only (ie for persons who are remaining non resident but need NIE for property purchase etc)

EX16 for NIE and Residencia purposes ie for those living FT in Spain.

Modelo 790 is the form to pay the relevant fee/tax for processing the above.

This process was changed to enable residents to get both things done with one form so full marks to the Spanish for simplifying it.

Forms available from here
http://www.mpt.es/servicios/extranjeria/modelos_oficiales_solicitudes.html

People might find this useful as well
http://www9.mpt.es/servicios/extranjeria/ciudadanos_UE.html

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 28 February 2011 10:18 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-26

Thanks Rob

It is great that both appliactions have been merged, but I still have a problem with the process.

I have a job here now and need a bank account, but have been told by the banks that I can?t open an account until I receive an NIE number.

Now I have made an appointment for an NIE application interview…but it isn?t until June.

Isn?t there a temporary certificate I am meant to get that has the NIE number on it? How do I go about getting this?

When I call an office in Spain about his they tell me they ?don?t have this information?and to go to the banks!

Cheers
G

Posted: 28 February 2011 10:26 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

Most banks will allow you to open an account with just your passport. They may open it as a non-resident account (you can still have your salary paid in) but you can change that easily when you get your residency certificate.

Posted: 28 February 2011 11:03 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes I agree with the above and I would add if your bank cannot be a little more helpful and understanding then bank somewhere else - this does not bode well!

Plus - appt in June!! in my province you can get same day or at least within a week (Alicante)

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 28 February 2011 11:58 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-26

Cheers guys,

I’ll give it another go at a bank, but I did try ‘non-resident’ with Caja Madrid and ING Direct and was told I still needed a ‘non-resident’ form 😊

And Rob, yeah June seems a bit long, but I’m in Madrid and I’ve been down to the Oficina de Extramjeros, where the lines queue out of the Police station right down the street - all day. It’s crazy. I’m glad to have an appointment tbh!

Posted: 01 March 2011 02:08 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28
glamracket - 28 February 2011 11:58 PM

I did try ‘non-resident’ with Caja Madrid and ING Direct and was told I still needed a ‘non-resident’ form 😊

Yes, this is a requirement but usually the bank does this for you automatically (for a small fee every year) and it is not a pre-requisite for actually opening the account There should be no problem in opening your account now as a “non resident” then changing to resident status in June.