Moving to Spain
Posted: 22 March 2011 04:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-22

Hi,

I have been looking at this for information and I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband and I are relocating to Spain, but our circumstances are a “little out of the ordinary”.
We are British citizens, but have been living in Africa for 20 years.
Can anyone tell me what our position is regarding driving licences ? Technically we are EU citizens, but our driving licences are South African.

I am also confused by the taxation issue. I receive 3 pensions…..all from the UK. they inform me that my superannuation pension and retirement pension will be taxable in Spain, but my Civil Service pension remains taxable in UK ? In total I expect to approx E1300 per month. Will I fall under the limit for Spanish taxation, as this would put my yearly income at under E18,000. ?

Can anyone help me please ?

Marilyn

Posted: 22 March 2011 04:40 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I very much doubt that you can swop a South African licence for a Spanish one - you would have to take the test. However if you can get a UK licence back that can be swopped for a Spanish one (or drive on the UK one)

Your tax info is correct - all private pensions should be declared for tax in Spain if you are going to be resident. But any civil service remain taxed in the UK (but not in Spain, you won’t pay twice)

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/